1948 Panhead FL Vin numbers question 4 or 5 digits ?

Identifaction of VIN, case numbers and cylinder heads
cdndewey
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:07 am
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH
Location: British Columbia
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: 1948 Panhead FL Vin numbers question 4 or 5 digits ?

#16

Post by cdndewey » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:09 pm

RUBONE wrote:
I may be wrong but I believe there were more 47's made than all the 36's to 46's combined.
Not even close Dewey. The previous production was over twice as great as the '47. still it was the most built of any type to date.

Do you have production numbers for all years you can post.....or has that already been done somewhere?



RUBONE
Moderator
Posts: 5157
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:09 am
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 508 times

Re: 1948 Panhead FL Vin numbers question 4 or 5 digits ?

#17

Post by RUBONE » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Just the info from "The Legend Begins", H-D's official publication. however it is not totally accurate and regretfully nothing better exists.

tschukojr
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:33 pm
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl
Location: mass
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: 1948 Panhead FL Vin numbers question 4 or 5 digits ?

#18

Post by tschukojr » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:54 pm

my 1950 fl is 5 digits---108XX--------------t schuko

panhead
Site Admin
Posts: 2573
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:17 pm
Bikes: 1954 FL
Location: Holland
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: 1948 Panhead FL Vin numbers question 4 or 5 digits ?

#19

Post by panhead » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Do you have production numbers for all years you can post.....or has that already been done somewhere?
Not complete but for Pan- and flatheads:

http://www.hydra-glide.com/info/yby.php

cdndewey
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:07 am
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH
Location: British Columbia
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: 1948 Panhead FL Vin numbers question 4 or 5 digits ?

#20

Post by cdndewey » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 pm

panhead wrote:
Do you have production numbers for all years you can post.....or has that already been done somewhere?
Not complete but for Pan- and flatheads:

http://www.hydra-glide.com/info/yby.php
I was just looking for knuckleheads to see the ratio between 36-46 and 47's.

But that's interesting none the less.

panhead
Site Admin
Posts: 2573
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:17 pm
Bikes: 1954 FL
Location: Holland
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: 1948 Panhead FL Vin numbers question 4 or 5 digits ?

#21

Post by panhead » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:49 pm

I can add the Knucklehead figure's

cdndewey
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:07 am
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH
Location: British Columbia
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: 1948 Panhead FL Vin numbers question 4 or 5 digits ?

#22

Post by cdndewey » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:19 pm

panhead wrote:I can add the Knucklehead figure's
That would be great....thanks

Speeding Big Twin
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:29 am
Bikes: H-D
Location: Western Australia
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: 1948 Panhead FL Vin numbers question 4 or 5 digits ?

#23

Post by Speeding Big Twin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:01 am

cbellamore wrote:I came across a 1948 FL left side case
I have tried to do as much research as possible and keep coming up with conflicting findings
The Vin reads 48FL10XXX
so it has 5 digits in the production number after the year and model designation in the Vin
Is this a proper Vin or is it not ?
My understanding is that it is not a proper Vin number and the production number is too high for 1948
if anyone can give me a sure answer on whether or not that number should exist I would greatly appreciate it
thanks
As indicated above, it isn’t too high for a 48 Pan. I have photos of five factory-stamped examples in the 13000 range for that model year. However, just because the serial number you came across isn’t too high for 48 does not mean it is a proper (authentic) serial number and I can’t say whether or not that particular sequence number was originally assigned to an FL. It could have originally been assigned to an F, an EL or an E. If you post a clear photo of it we may be able to tell you if it looks factory-stamped.

And did you check the belly number? If so, does it look factory-stamped? What about the casting number? Date code? Is there a 7 stamped on top rear of the case? If so, what type of 7? Photos?
Eric

Speeding Big Twin
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:29 am
Bikes: H-D
Location: Western Australia
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: 1948 Panhead FL Vin numbers question 4 or 5 digits ?

#24

Post by Speeding Big Twin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:09 am

1950Panhead wrote:Five digit vins, legend numbers (not perfect).

47FL1001 to 47FL12648 (includes EL) (most knucles of any year)
48FL1001 to 48FL13944 (includes EL) (most pans of any year)
49FL1001 to 49FL13685 (includes EL)
50FL1001 to 50FL11265 (includes EL)

Jerry
For 1947–50 the start number was not 1001; instead it was 1000. I explained some start numbers to you on this forum in September 2011. You responded, but your argument re the small amount of known SN 1000 machines contained no logic and I gave you the perfect counter to it. Do you not remember? I also reminded you of this on the CAImag forum recently. Do you not remember that either?

Some people are aware of the proper start numbers for those four years so they will not believe your incorrect info. However, people attempting to learn may not realise your info is wrong and that is one of my concerns. People trying to learn should be given good info, not incorrect info. Therefore, I will again state that for 1947–50 the start number was not 1001; instead it was 1000.
Eric

Post Reply

Return to “VIN / Cases / Heads”