Belly number: a 162-xxxx belly number with '63 serial number

Identifaction of VIN, case numbers and cylinder heads

Belly number: a 162-xxxx belly number with '63 serial number

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:54 pm

Is it possible for a '63 to be legit with a right side belly number of 161-xxxx and left side of 162-xxxx

Thanks

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Belly number

Post by caschnd1 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:56 am

It is possible to have a 162-xxxx belly number on a case with a '63 serial number. I read that this can happen if the motor was assembled early in the '63 model run. The belly numbers were stamped when the cases were matched and line bored (during '62) but the motor numbers, 63FLxxxx, weren't stamped until the motor/bike was being assembled (during the '63 model run). Do you have a fairly low sequence number on your motor? Maybe something like 63FL1050? That would indicate it was built early in the '63 model year.

The fact that the belly numbers don't match means that the cases were not originally assembled as a matched set.

Another possibility is that the original cases were damaged beyond repair somehow. They got a right and left case with different belly numbers to replace the damaged pieces, then had the original motor number stamped into the cases. In this way, the numbers are still legit, but you may have lost some value because the belly numbers don't match.

caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:59 am

Question: you have two cases, one numbered 162-xxxx and the other is 161-xxxx. Does the xxxx portion match? That would be something I haven't heard of before. Not that it couldn't happen... we are dealing with hand assembly (the human factor) back in the panhead days.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:40 pm

Sept 2, 2005, 5:59am, caschnd1 wrote:
Does the xxxx portion match?
No. The right case is clearly not a 63 as the OHO line was faked and the bike was running internal oil feed. This is disappointing, but doesn't concern me as the timing side case could be from any old year. What does concern me is the numbers side v.i.n. 63FLxxxx and belly 161-xxxx and hence what I'm really asking about...

caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:26 pm

I don't believe this this means that your numbers are not legit. It's possible that the left side case was damaged and replaced. The belly number would have been stamped during manufacturing, but the motor number boss is left blank until it is sold as a replacement piece and then it it stamped with a number matching the original case being replaced. Well, that's how it's supposed to work. Get a copy of Palmer's book on restoring these bikes. Lots of good info about serial numbers, shapes of the number used, etc. It will help you determine more about your numbers.

-Craig

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:48 pm

Palmers book is on the way...

Thanks

Return to “VIN / Cases / Heads”