Pan frame

Identification information of frames and transmissions
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III

Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.

58 FL, engine, frame swingarm, gas tanks.
Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon

Re: Pan frame

Post by George Greer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:25 am

john HD wrote:bet it has timkens in it.

john
Bosheff wrote:Looks like a repop Star hub set up for sealed roller bearings....bosheff
It that bad???

Could I lace a good rim to this and run it?

Keep in mind this is not going to be a restoration ...other than an original engine, frame swing arm...the rest can be "whatever works"

George

PS, hopefully my manuals and parts book will arrive this weekend, and I won't have to ask so many questions.

PPS.........Nah, changed my mind, and I will ask questions...just for entertainment.
Sometimes my questions just got to get a laugh for somebody... :D

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:49 pm

george,

i have had good luck with a timken hub. i have had it so long i don't remember where i got it! i do know it uses a non standard axle.

john

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon

Post by George Greer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

John,

thanks...

I will disassemble the entire hub sometime this weekend.

I want to chuck it up on my lathe and check for runout just for giggles to see what kind of tolerances that is has.

I will post more later on what I find.

George

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by George Greer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:56 am

Did not take it apart yet,

But once I chucked it up on my lathe, and setup a dial indicator to the flanges it only has .006 out of round at the edges.

More to come.

George

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:15 pm

Im not sure comin off the side of the flange face is gonna give ya an accurate representation....bosheff

Bosheff

Post by Bosheff » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Upon further thought, what difference does it make pertaining to the runout off the edge of the hub flange. Yer ultimately lookin to make the wheel true not the flange. That's why they call it truing the wheel....bosheff

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by George Greer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:16 am

Bosheff wrote:Upon further thought, what difference does it make pertaining to the runout off the edge of the hub flange. Yer ultimately lookin to make the wheel true not the flange. That's why they call it truing the wheel....bosheff
Bosheff.......

Thanks, but I thought the closer to being .000 at the flanges where the spokes go at the wheels rim it would be closer as well...guess I was wrong, and you gotta just force the edge of the wheel with adjusting the spokes till the wheel is true.... and my shooting/wishing for a tight tolorance is unrealistic.

My way of thinking, is a little like building a house, if your off by 1/4" on this end and you've got a 20 foot run/span to cover, and the 1/4" error is not noticed at the beginning, when you get to the end of the run, the error is going to be quite large.

George

Bosheff

Post by Bosheff » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:19 pm

George, while nobody appreciates perfection more than myself, ya gotta remember we're talkin old hogs here. Ya gotta keep in mind that some of H-D's production tolerances were +/- a football field. At any rate, the hub is the starting point, the wheel run out is yer ultimate destination. Good luck....bosheff

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by George Greer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:41 pm

Bosheff wrote:George, while nobody appreciates perfection more than myself, ya gotta remember we're talkin old hogs here. Ya gotta keep in mind that some of H-D's production tolerances were +/- a football field. At any rate, the hub is the starting point, the wheel run out is yer ultimate destination. Good luck....bosheff

:D :D :D :D

Gotta keep that in mind, and just get as close to .000 as I can.

Thanks.

George

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by George Greer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Hurray...

Got my manuals today!..

Gonna start reading them inside and out.

George

Return to “Frame / Transmission”