76 BMW R90S
65 HD FLH
49 Whizzer
48 Chief Goulding Rocket Sidecar
46 HD UL
32 HD V

Tire recomendations for 65 Pan

Post by rmcrh » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:51 pm

I need or rather feel a need to purchase both front and rear for our 65 Pan. It is a very stock bike,low milage, heavy rider, planning on a lot of miles this upcoming season from from the West Kootenays of British Columbia to Newport Oregon, ( R R HAWG SHOP, Rich Rau also a Cannoball rider ) At least 6 trips planned to complete our 32 Harley V for the Cannonball run. I would appreciate opinions and suggestions. It has Whitewalls , 500 16 s Commanders now in suprisingly good shape and feel just fine, just under 1000 mikes since purchase ,no checking or sidewall damage, no flat spots. When I bought it over the internet I asked about the tires and was told it was displayed properly, whatever that meant, limited information was available ( long story, aren't they all) The tires have been on the bike for just under 18 yrs, Museum rescued bike from a private collection. Part of me says to just use the ones on the bike although caution says replace them due to age. As before suggestions, opinions, comments, please as money is very tight.
Robb
I would post a photo although can never figure out how to down size the image

1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Re: Tire recomendations for 65 Pan

Post by 1962FLH » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:48 pm

I agree with you on replacing the old tires. They may look good however the rubber gets hard and can lose traction during an emergency maneuver. With distracted drivers (cell phone users) this happens more often than not. I like a tire that performs well enough to drag the floor boards without drifting. Dunlop makes great tires with several different compounds of rubber. I like the 404 Dunlop tires but they don’t last very long. The Dunlop 402’s are a touring tire and last a great deal longer however does not perform in the corners as well as the 404’s. They make a 401 but I have not tried them.

lownslow
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1941 FL
1970 XLH
1998 FXDWG

Post by lownslow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:55 pm

I just replaced my 18 year old dunlops. They were on when I purchased the bike. Horrible handling. I had the same problem with a 59 pan I had for a while. The tires were just old and in a turn i didn't feel safe. The ride with new,(dunlops), was amazing. I purchased Avon S/M Mark ll but have yet to put them on the road as I'm waiting for parts to rebuild my hub. They're nice and soft and I can't wait to try them out. Others on here were pretty happy with them so that had some bearing on my decision. They look nice too. It was also mentioned on a thread in the KB that you can usually only get one or the other.............a sticky tire that doesn't last as long or a longer lasting one that is not quite as sticky. I opted for the sticky one.

If I were you I'd replace em. Only thing between you and a lot of asphalt!

Here's a link to the pic resizer I use. It is for windows, not Mac.

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/releases/view/30247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

itsRICH
Bikes: 1948 Panhead chopper kit bike

Post by itsRICH » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 am

resizing photos is very easy, open the photo in the program "paint" then select resize, and type in a size you think might work, theyre genereally set at both 100 horz/vert, I usually type in 25-50 and they fit on here fine. then save the file and upload to here, if it says its too big, start over again in paint

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:32 pm

I agree with the DUNLOPS!--WELL-CRAFTED just to hard!--A GREAT all around tire is a CONTINENTAL!--not the cheapest & not EXPENSIVE!. BUT it holds the road when warmed-up! Also its soft--so a 1/4inch size pebble that potentially can down a bike going 45mph on a curve ,will be absorbed & spit out!--When looking for profile!--(this is a choice olny you can make upon your style of riding!).You want no sharp ridge on the curve!--A nice round profile to the rim is IDEAL for those times you have to scrape footboard!--It wont ride on a thin ledge -but give more rubber on the ground!.Other Manufacturerd have great profiles ALSO!--Do some research & Have fun---Respectfuly---RICHIE 8)

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:39 pm

I've used both the Avon Safety Mileage and Continental K112 16" tires on big twins with good results.
VPH-D

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 pm

I have also used several Continental K112 16" tires on my pans thru the years, However I still have the old speed grips on my 64. They look like new,though they are over twenty ...

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:52 pm

Tires aren't my "bag" anymore, Folks,

So when a good friend had to resort to the local Dealership,
they installed some very questionable Cokers.

Note how the center groove was not fully cut away:
COKRTRED.jpg
....Cotten
PS: Since the rest of my riding experience will probably be limited to sidehacking (or $60/hr test rides), I have nothing but respect for old hard compounds. Nothing is more disconcerting than to pull up the garage door to see the tread of your rear tire has been *erased*.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Cotton, Coker filled in the center groove several years ago because they were cracking in that area....my Goodyears never have.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”