Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Tire Tubes

Wheels, hubs and tires
demoman

Tire Tubes

Post by demoman » Wed May 12, 2004 7:15 pm

Getting ready to put new tires on the 64 FLH. What valve stems with tubes should I get? Rubber or Steel stems

Thanks
Last edited by hydra on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Re: Tire Tubes

Post by BigMike » Wed May 12, 2004 7:57 pm

Either is OK, the thing that can screw you up is if you are running the original drop center laced wheels, make sure you have the correct fit of the valve stem through the hole in rim. There are "value-priced" tubes out there with smaller diameter valvestems. (for imports?) Cheng-Shin or whatever. Check that you have a correct fit before you assemble the rim and tire. We all know the problems which can be caused by the tube slipping, wearing the valve stem or possibly even giving you a hernia like protrusion of a small bit of tube through the rim. Rapid loss of tire pressure, especially at speed is not fun. Quality rim flaps, tubes and tires is cheap insurance.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu May 13, 2004 12:29 am

Your insurance man would soil his panties if he ever thought you installed a steel stem in a rim with a hole for a rubber stem.

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Thu May 13, 2004 3:53 am

Ok, it sounds to me like my tires need to come back off now. What's the deal with the steel stems? I have original rims on my 59. When I installed the brand spankin new HD tubes that they say are for my rims, the stem was smaller than the hole. I couldn't figure out what to do with the one cupped washer and nuts they gave me. After looking (and a few Natural lights), I decided it was cupped to keep it centered in the hole. I put the dome side down on the outside of the rim, and snugged up the nut to hold it positioned used the second nut to lock the first nut in place. Am I driving a launch pad for a solo flight?

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”