tires

Wheels, hubs and tires
Steve
Bikes: 49 panhead, 17 roadglide

tires

Post by Steve » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:59 pm

So here is a rookie sunday question... owning one of these original pans (49) what do you guys recommmend for tires? Do you look for the nostolgic look or just go to the HD shop and get what they have? Thanks for the reply! Steve

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:25 pm

i like the full size avons

they have the correct height so your stuff doesn't drag in the corners.

john

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:08 pm

Continental is my favorite.

VT

Post by VT » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:18 am

5:10 x 16 Cheng-Shin. For 54 bucks they're a good deal and if you like the look of zig-zag tread of the '62-up Goodyear "speed-grips". There is one draw-back, in that there's so much mold-release solution left on the tires from the mfgr., that they can break free and get you killed, when deep in the apex of a road curve, until you've gotten about a 100 miles on them.
Tubes are rubber stem for big hole rims and metal stem for '62-later rims.
You can roll over on those sidewall ribs until you feel the back tire barely side slip, then let up a little on the throttle. Not too much or you'll rise up in the saddle (like you would really would if you let off the throttle on an air-head (boxer) BM(Vey)W.
Tire #4: Zoom in on it. The extreme outside Z-tread and the thin side wall rings is where you're tracking in a curve. The thin rings are what break-free on the asphalt. The more rubber composition in the asphalt road-mix and the newer the roadbed, the more "stick" the tires have.
I like my rear tire at 26 psi and my front tire at 20 psi. Same (solo) pressure's listed in the '59-69 Service Manual. Stett says 35 psi for the rear and 30 for the front. We don't agree.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... 22/c-10111
Look at #2 too. Looks like an Avon tread. That's the tread that looks good with a bobbed custom close-to-tire rear fender

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:45 am

Steve,

Your tire choice will depend on how you intend to use the bike. If you have a trailer queen show bike then you want the nostalic tires available from Coker or other vendors, they still offer the Firestones from the original mold and the Goodyear Super Eagles which are correct for the 49.

If you want to actually ride the bike and enjoy it then go with the Cheng-Shins or better yet the Dunlops from the local stealership. A Dunlop 404 will run you about double what JC Whitney gets for the Cheng-Shin, but you get what you pay for. Bike tires have always been a trade-off, they either wear like iron or they stick to the pavement, but usually not both.

Expect to replace the soft sticky tires about every 8 or 9 K miles if you ride it like a normal guy.

just my humble opinion.....

mike

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”