Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Another Sidecar Question - Tire Preasure

Wheels, hubs and tires
thsmith

Another Sidecar Question - Tire Preasure

Post by thsmith » Mon May 09, 2005 8:38 pm

Anyone have information on Sidecar tire preasure. On the bike I have my rear set at 20psi and front at 25 psi for my weight, yeah I am large.

Right now I have my sidecar tire preasure at 32psi which seems okay, i have tried it matching my rear at 20 but that seems to low when cornering to the right.

Thought, experience or wild guesses would be appriciated.

BTW, posted some pics on this forum, need a tub, interior, spare tire carrier and side trim if anyone would like to get rid of.

Tracy

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue May 10, 2005 3:34 am

Tracy!

32 psi!
Please refer to the manual, the specs are in the front section.

If you calculated your tire patches and divided them by your gross weight, your would be surprised how little psi is required to support it. However, the tires themselves need a minimum for safe operation.

I have always found handling best for my wife's swingarmed rig at 14 psi on the hack wheel, 20 on the front and 18 on the rear,.. all 5.00-16s,.. but I would never never advocate anything but Factory spec, of course.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Tire Pressure

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue May 10, 2005 4:16 am

TH, I'm going to have to back Cotten up on this one. (of course he's usually right on just about anything he posts) This is from a guy that has 3 peices of vintange iron and I ride them. The 5.00 x 16's were "baloon" tires, designed for low pressure. Follow the factory specs! They ride much better, stick much better and generally handle much better at the lower pressure suggested by the rider's manual. I know it says to adjust for load but there are still limits. If your hack frame is hanging out there with no tub on it (meaning it is much lighter than it should be) you need to drop the pressure in that outboard tire, it can't do anything but hop and bounce if you try to run it at 32 psi.

BTW, I saw all your pics in the gallery and the EL looks great. I thought I had the best looking original '49 in the neighborhood until I saw yours. my only consolation is that yours is an EL and mine is an FL.

I noticed that you painted the slider covers black. the '49's were the only year that the lowers were black, did the EL's also have black upper covers?

One more question, are you coming to the AMA meet in North East Texas later this month, I'm trying to adjust my schedule so I can get down there.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Side Car Body

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue May 10, 2005 4:38 am

Tracy,
One more thing, if you ever find all the pieces for your tub I have one item you might be interested in. Take a close look at the light on the front fender of my '47 WL, it is an original Guide marker light for a sidecar fender. The little red "bubble gum" dome on the cover is the original red glass piece. When the light was properly placed on a hack fender you could see the red dome from the rear and the white split lens from the front and side. It was on the bike when I pulled it out of a barn in Redfield Arkansas, I patched up the wiring and replaced the bulb and it works great. It doesn't belong on the front fender of a WL but just about nobody knows what it really is. here's a pic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue May 10, 2005 12:24 pm

(Black sliders and shrouds were available for many years, often for police issue.)

thsmith

Post by thsmith » Wed May 11, 2005 2:18 pm

Cotten and Flatheadsix, thanks for the info. I will look in my service manual for sidecar tire inflation. I have 16X5s all the way around. I have the front and rear set per the shop manual.

Made an assumption the shop manual would not have this for sidecar since there is no other information available on sidecars.

I do need to figure out if I am going to go to a springer which would have been on a 49 with sidecar or go to adjustable trees. To be honest I have had no bad wobbles with stock trees with no adjustable rake but really have been in 4th a couple of times maybe doing 50 mph.

Thanks again,

Tracy

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed May 11, 2005 2:31 pm

I ran a packagetruck on one of my '49 chassis with a springer ,.. and springers suck!

Just crank down your dampener as tight as you can.

thsmith

Post by thsmith » Wed May 11, 2005 2:54 pm

Cotten,

I did tighten the dampner and so far no complaints.
Any ideas on how the fender wiring is routed off the bike and onto the sidecar over to the fender ?

To Flatheadsixs comment about the front tin being black. As Cotten said the police bikes were that way as well as Solo Standards. I could not find any bikes in Palmer's book this way except police. He does cover it in the text about what was painted, beside P models the standards had it.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu May 12, 2005 12:37 am

I've never seen two hacks wired the same. So I must trust to common sense.

thsmith

Post by thsmith » Thu May 12, 2005 1:26 pm

Thanks Cotten. Sidecars are funny that way. I have been running it without the brake hooked up and I think I like it better that way, Now if I can just keep the tire down on the rode things will be fine.

Tracy

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu May 12, 2005 2:19 pm

Hacks don't need no steenking brakes!

But you should really put some weight on it for safety's sake.
My wife (and I) prefer a toolbox off of a small pickup truck. A couple of short pieces of 4"X4" and some carriage bolts, and voila!

I really regret passing up the best sidecar appliances of all time: one of those fiberglass sit-in saunas where only your head sticks out. I coulda painted a helmet to match! (No, forget the helmet idea.)

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”