Springer Axle Nut

Wheels, hubs and tires
Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Springer Axle Nut

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:49 am

Could someone please tell me how tight the axle nut should be?
Thanks
Eric

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Springer Axle Nut

Post by FlatHeadSix » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:39 am

Eric,

It should be tight enough that it draws everything together but not so tight that it binds the wheel. Its kind of a "feel" thing, when you get it where it feels right you should stop tightening it, that's why all the springer rocker bolts have the special lock washers with the bendable tabs and the axle has castle nuts.

I know that doesn't sound like much help but it really is a subjective thing, there is no torque spec to tell you when to stop tightening the axle nut. Pull it all together, make sure the wheel still turns free, and slip the cotter pin through the closest hole.

mike

Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:05 am

Mike,

If you tighten the axle nut and there's drag on the hub....something's wrong. The axle nut should be very tight. If the hub is dragging, then you have issues with the shims or something in the hub and or the brake assembly. I've noticed lately with all the different manufacturers of brake shoes and drums that many require some hand work to fit correctly. I've even seen the actuating shaft hit the drum and bind things up. But the axle itself should be very tight and the same for the sleeve if you're running a big twin brake.

Kurt

Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:34 pm

Kurts got that right. There should never be any pinch, no matter how tight. If the right side spacer has been installed backward that will cause a pinch.

Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:32 pm

Thanks for the answer because I will be needing this info, too, but I guess I ment to ask the axle sleeve nut. The sleeve goes through the backing plate and on the outside has a cork washer, spring and washer and a nut.
Thanks
Eric

Donemoto
Bikes: 1985 FLTC
1940 HD UL
1966 HD Sprint
1968 HD Rapido
(2) 1963 Honda C-102
1968 Honda CL 175

Post by Donemoto » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm having trouble getting my axle sleeve nut tight also. With the drum wheel off; I hold a piece of steel plate in the axle sleeve slot. Next, I tighten the axle sleeve nut( the one that goes thru the left rocker). When I put the wheel on; and then, tighten the castle nut on the axle as tight as I can get it, and still fit the cotter pin; as I spin the wheel, the axle nut and castle nut spin when the wheel is turned. Shouldn't this nut hold the axle stationary? What gives?

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”