Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Tires, whats a good choice?

Post by LittleAl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:56 pm

So, what is everyone using?

I read somewhere that Coker tires are for show, not for a rider, but that can't be for all their tires, there's nothing on their website about that, at least under the 5.00X16 tires.

I'd like to stay with an original looking tire design, but I'm gonna be riding this bike so want something decent. Prefer blackwalls. I've also heard Coker's were expensive but I see a few choices around $110 to $130 or so which is just a bit more then I pay for "regular" tires for my other bikes.

Are there any other real choices out there besides Coker? also, just for the knowing, is anyone running current tire designs? Right now, just for convenience while working on the bike, I have a used tire off one of my electraglides on the front wheel, could I run that if I wanted? (I don't want to, just curious)

Anyway, I'm certainly looking for tire suggestions. I looked at these:

http://store.coker.com/500-16-coker-bec ... -tire.html

http://store.coker.com/500-16-firestone ... cycle.html

http://store.coker.com/500-16-s-coker-c ... -tire.html

For some reason I like these the best
http://store.coker.com/500-16-firestone ... -tire.html

this is for my '54 FL

Thanks!

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Tires, whats a good choice?

Post by john HD » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:32 pm

avon safety mileage mk II

google it you will find plenty of retailers.

i have run them for years with no problems, they are full size and great tires in the rain.

john

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:56 am

Al,
This link should take you to the tire discussion we had about a year ago. As John says, the Avon S/M II is a very good compromise, it sticks well, doesn't wear too quickly, and is still a full height tire. As you have figured out the Coker's are mostly for show because they are usually made with softer compounds and do not last as long as a modern tire. Check out the entire thread, it should tell you everything you need to know.

mike

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3467&p=13734&hilit=avon#p13734

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:36 am

so damn good info in that post.

i still haven't positively decided on what tires yet, but at least I have some info to make an intelligent choice, not that I'll necessarily actually MAKE an intelligent choice, lol

Thanks!

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:33 am

Al,
This is just me talking here, I'm not a tire salesman for anyone. For my money I have to agree with your choice on the old Firestone Deluxe Champion. I have run both the Goodyear Super Eagle and the Deluxe Champion, in both the original and the reproduction, and the Firestone wins, hands down! The Super Eagle has a center groove where the Deluxe Champ has a center rib, the groove tends to follow every flaw in the pavement. This is particularly annoying when running on pavement that the highway department has intentionally grooved for resurfacing or for "safety" in turns. Grooved pavement might be alright for semi-trucks, but it is a white-knuckle experience for vintage bike riders.

If you're going to ride that bike a lot I would go with the Avon S/M II, if you want it to look original and ride it to shows and stuff, get the Coker Firestones.

jmho

mike

FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:39 am

Al
One more thing, if you have a chance to get to a big AMCA meet, Coker usually brings a truckload of tires to the meets and runs them on a "Meet Special" price deal. You get them at a pretty good discount and you don't pay shipping, taxes, etc., they post the meets they attend on their website.

mike

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Coker Mike. I'll check it out but would assume they'll be at Reinbeck which I usually go to. That's in June though, I hope to be riding her before then! lol

As it stands right now I'm leaning towards the Firestone Deluxe with the Avons an extremely close second. to stay on my "schedule" I'll have to decide within a week or so.

I guess I really can't go wrong with either of those. shouldn't take more then a season to wear out whatever turns out to be my first choice, lol

My daily rider now is my '83 FXR Shovel and I put about 15-20K on her a year. between my two EG's ('00 and '08) another 30K a year. I expect I'll be splitting the Shovel miles between her and the Pan this year, at least I hope so!

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”