Wheel Bearing Conversion

Wheels, hubs and tires
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Wheel Bearing Conversion

Post by Hauula Pan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:50 pm

I have heard there is a kit to change the old star hub roller bearings and cage etc. over to a modern sealed bearing. I have seen a replica wheel that has them but have not been able to find anyone that sells the conversion kit. Has anyone else heard of this and maybe know if the kits are still available and where? I know the pureists out there will be outraged, but since a lot of bikes are already far from pure & stock changing the wheel bearings over on one of those is only a minor sin. Appreciate any leads.

old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Re: Wheel Bearing Conversion

Post by old1955 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:23 am

G'day Hauula Pan

Seems like a lot of mucking around! May be you could swap it to someone who needs a
star hub and you get a 70s hub with all that in it already. That makes two happy people!
And one saved hub :)

Pete

Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:41 pm

I was asking for a friend that has a 49 or 50 springer and he wanted to know about the conversion. I told him I know V-Twin sells both an entire wheel and just a hub that has the conversion already installed, and both will accept the original stock roller & cage components if you wanted to convert back. But I don't think they sell just the conversion parts. I guess that is so you'll buy the hub or wheel. But I remember an AD from a while back from another company that made a conversion. I know you can just use a later wheel but he wants to keep the star. I also know its not that hard to keep the original stuff going either. But I was just hoping someone might know who made those conversions and if they are still available?

NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Dear Haaula Pan,
I remember an ad but it was a service to cut up hubs for Timkens. You had to buy a different axle and stuff too. Talk about re-inventing the wheel in the worst way!

Respectfully,

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:22 pm

Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 pm

Ah yes, thanks for the memory jog. I now remember that the ad was from starhubspros and it said, "Reinventing the wheel" etc. and used the Timken bearings. I'll tell my friend they are not around anymore and that conversion basically destroyed any chance of converting back. If he still wants to change I'll tell him to check out the bearings V-Twin uses in their replica hub. Personally I wouldn't change, there's nothing wrong with the old roller & cage set up if you maintain it right. And a little extra grease usually takes care of any wear, ya just have to apply it more often. I've seen V-Twin's replica hub & its not bad, but costs a lot more than just fixing up the stock rollers & seals. Some wheels really don't need reinventing, just periodic maintenance.

RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:56 am

There actually was a kit made by Performance Machine back in the '70's to do this. It used the adapter on the left to press into the flanged brake drum side of the hub, then a #6203 sealed bearing was pressed in. The bearing holder bolted to the star cover side, and held a #6303 bearing. These are both 17mm I.D. bearings, and it came with the axle and spacers needed for the conversion.
I'm still using this setup, but it was discontinued by PM long ago. Just a little ancient history for you......
hub3.jpg
hub1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”