Front End Axle Sleeve

Wheels, hubs and tires
King

Front End Axle Sleeve

Post by King » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi All

On my 51 Pan I am in the process of disassembling my front end to send the fork tubes off to be refurbished. I have encountered a problem in getting the axle sleeve out of the left leg to release the front brake assembly. I removed the axle sleeve nut and the brake stud nut and have been able to move the sleeve about a half inch with gentle tapping. But that's as far as it will go.

I suspect it is the victim of almost 40 years of galvanic corrosion (steel/aluminum) since it was last disassembled and just bound up but I want to be sure there is no other fasteners etc. that need to be removed to free it up. Also how to proceed? I have a buddy with a good press and we can press it out if that is the solution.

King

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Front End Axle Sleeve

Post by Bosheff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Try warmin the lower leg where the sleeve goes through it first. I'd save the press for last....bosheff

Panshovevo
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Kroil (penetrating oil) may help also. You could also try a few heat/quench with Kroil cycles to help break up the corrosion.

Kuda

Post by Kuda » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Only sure way I've found without tearing something up involves a second nut. I just double nutted the sleeve, doused it with Kroil, a few light taps with a hammer (to help the Kroil soak in), then spin the sleeve using the double nuts. Once I got it turning, it spun right out. A bit of light, well oilled honing with a fine brake cylinder hone cleaned up the bore, a little 1000 grit cleaned up the sleeve. Good as new...

-Kuda
'49 panchop

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”