Front Wheel Side Play

Wheels, hubs and tires
2Hacks
Bikes: '08 Ultra w/Sidecar

Front Wheel Side Play

Post by 2Hacks » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:45 pm

How much side play should there be for the front wheel? I'm not talking about play in the star hub. I just received a new axle (V-Tiwan) and the side play is close to 1/8 inch. With the wheel slid all the way to the left, there is about 1/8" between the hub and the first shoulder of the axle (from the right leg). The old axle was tight, so should I cut a spacer and tighten it up, or leave some side play?

Thanks,
Roger

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Front Wheel Side Play

Post by Bosheff » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Compare yer old axle to yer Ted's special. I'll bet the machining is different from one to another....bosheff

2Hacks

Post by 2Hacks » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:26 pm

Bosheff wrote:Compare yer old axle to yer Ted's special. I'll bet the machining is different from one to another....bosheff
Thanks, that's what I noticed when I opened up the new one. What I forgot to mention was that the old axle I removed looked to be homemade so I don't think I should compare it to that one. The new one is OK except it don't slide through the hub far enough to get rid of that gap on the right side of the hub. I machined a spacer to tighten it up, but I just didn't know if I should leave a little play in it or not... Roger

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:04 pm

The axle should fit ABSOLUTELY tight against the hub! All the side play is in the Star hub itself, the axle to fork, to hub sleeve, to brake sleeve is a fixed length, tight assembly. DO NOT leave play anywhere. And if the axle doesn't fit your hub, turn it down slightly until it does, don't add spacers. The hub should but up against the axle (glide type), or the sleeve(rear or springer front). You don't say what you are working on.
Robbie

2Hacks

Post by 2Hacks » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:22 am

RUBONE wrote:The axle should fit ABSOLUTELY tight against the hub! All the side play is in the Star hub itself, the axle to fork, to hub sleeve, to brake sleeve is a fixed length, tight assembly. DO NOT leave play anywhere. And if the axle doesn't fit your hub, turn it down slightly until it does, don't add spacers. The hub should but up against the axle (glide type), or the sleeve(rear or springer front). You don't say what you are working on.
Robbie
Thanks, Robbie. That's just what I needed to know. It's a glide.
Roger

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”