Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Hubs/Wheels

Wheels, hubs and tires
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Hubs/Wheels

Post by CaptMike » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:55 pm

My '57 has a set if Chrome 5 spoke Invader Wheels (ouch) and I want to put spoke wheels back on it. Is there any wheels that will work with the mechanical '57 read brake? Or can I hack an old Sportster hub and brake to it?

Is there any other Hub/brakes that I can use?

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Hubs/Wheels

Post by RUBONE » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:52 pm

Is there any wheels that will work with the mechanical '57 read brake?
Sure , any '35-'66 star hub will bolt right on a '57 rear brake, no mods.
Why, is something wrong with yours? '57 brakes are the same as '37-'57 types. Very common both original or aftermarket. Don't put Sportster junk on it. The aren't set up right for left hand drive.
Robbie

CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Re: Hubs/Wheels

Post by CaptMike » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:04 am

RUBONE wrote:
Is there any wheels that will work with the mechanical '57 read brake?
Sure , any '35-'66 star hub will bolt right on a '57 rear brake, no mods.
Why, is something wrong with yours? '57 brakes are the same as '37-'57 types. Very common both original or aftermarket. Don't put Sportster junk on it. The aren't set up right for left hand drive.
Robbie
Ah... I'm sorry I couldn't make my problem clear. This is a Basket Case bike my DOA Pal took apart in 1979 (just before we left for Daytona) and he was killed a week after Daytona. So all the parts have been moved several times in 32 years (by his Mom and Daughter) and the 1970's style ain't the way he'd build it back today so I can't put it back together with the Chrome 5 Spoke Invader Wheels. If there's something other than a "Star" hub that would work with the 1957 H-D Panhead Mechanical Brakes, I'd just Crap My Pants 'cause so far I haven't had much luck in finding a set of "wheels" (hubs, spokes and yep the rear drum is missing).

I'm not planning a "Rat" but I'm just looking for wheels (hubs and brake drums) that will work. Since Iron Head Sportsters had drums with a sprockets I was wondering if a Sportster hub would work (they're much easier to come by).

May You Rest In Peace, James Austin Pruitt (aka Jimmy, Joe and Crow).

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”