Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

A few wheel restore questions

Wheels, hubs and tires
kehughes
Bikes: "50 FL Panhead, '47 WL, '57 165cc

A few wheel restore questions

Post by kehughes » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:24 pm

Restoring some 16" Kelsey Hayes interchangeables for panhead('49). They were chrome but I want to go black. I plan on redoing some chrome ones later also.

Were spokes and nipples cadmium plated on black rims also?
Were all hubs painted black?
What paint to use for stock look?
What suggestion to prep for paint, sand blast or bead blast?

Thanks.

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: A few wheel restore questions

Post by Robert Luland » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:45 am

All spokes and nipples are cad with the exception of 46 and down during the war years were parkerized. I don't know the exact dates. Maybe Rob would know if you need it. The hub color? Any good black semi-gloss will do. Prep? Bead blast them. I use DuPont Vari-Prim which is a self-etching primer that eats its way into the steel. Runs in the paint is normal as the factory dipped them. Hope this helps, Bob L

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:16 pm

What Robert Luland is correct----If you want them black, its easy to get the paint#. Just 1 sugestion-- you can powdercoat them (as long as all holes threads are blocked-off!. This is a looong lasting paint! ,I did my motor cases & tranny case in clear powdercoat, now when i go to clean them-- its just a little spray of oven-cleaner/ rinse with hose in 5 min. And they look like the day I installed them! Powdercoat is very low maintainance. But you have to cover any thread hole ETC. I did this to my cases & tranny 6yrs.ago -Looks like new--perhaps even better caus I wetsanded all in 1 direction. Also you will hear that it is a thick coating-1/16! & I heard of guys saying its a heat-holder! I can assure you I have no problems,I run straight 60-crude!--& This is my daily driver!.----(good-Luck in whatever route you choose-----58flh

Tintin
Bikes: 1972 HD FLH
1956 Norton Dominator CafeRacer
1964 Norton Atlas
1970 Norton Commando

Post by Tintin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:54 pm

58flh wrote:Powdercoat is very low maintainance.
And a major PITA when you want to remove it. Plus there is very nasty failure mode with powdercoating which is nowhere near as bead with old fashioned paint: If you have a small damage in the coating water/humidity can creep underneath the closed (and thus watertight) "molten plastic skin" and work its nasty brown magic. Off course the same can occur to a bad paint job which doesn't adhere properly to the metal substrate however in my experience properly applied paint might not be as sturdy but far more easy to repair. I once had a frame done in powder coating and would never do it again for this reason.

EDIT: And PC on rims and hubs is a very bad idea anyway because the relatively thick plastic layer creeps under spoke tension so they keep coming lose for a long time.

Tim

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:54 pm

TinTin----Thanks for the info.---But I know a few guys with powdercoated wheels & no problems, I guess its all in the prep of blocking the holes & threads! My cases show no weakspots or cracks where moisture could get in & were talking 6 plus yrs. now. 2 of my friends painted thier rims 1 did red the other did black ,they did them nearly the same time about 4-5yrs. ago & the rear wheels are very peeled-front rims held a little better but both have some issues with them. I can see the rears peeling from oil-chainlube ,the fronts if you look real close almost every spoke where it meets its home is cracked or cracking & peeling. Paint used was (Imron by PPG) this is a very tough paint also not all places will shoot-it because of its toxic-levels. Nowadays guys have fresh-air respirators for such things. Now I can assure you when the prep was done on the wheels it was done correctly-these guys been shootin for yrs. Also a buddy powdercoated his duel-exaust on a 1929 A ,that was like 10yrs. back. Color was black & it was done from the manifolds back--looks NEW to this day!. What I learned over the yrs. is where you get it done really is the final story. Ive seen places where 100s of parts are hanging on a rail waiting to get powder & a charge applied & they get done fast! The smaller places will work with you! If you explain whats it for & envirement it will be performing in. The same goes for paint to for that matter! We use a place called (Superior Powder Coats)-I have 2 friends that work there, maybe thats the difference? In addition to our work ,they check it out & adj. what may be up to thier standards. It does make you think!!!!-----Thanks--58flh :idea:

Pomike

Post by Pomike » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Powdercoating, like anything else has to be done right. I used to be a naysayer, but not anymore. The prep is important, just like paint or any other coating. With all the products that are PC'd today, it would be rather uninformed to say it doesn't work. Mike

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 pm

I powder coated the black rims on my 48FL. Looks like paint wears like steel. I to was once skeptical of the stuff but it's incredable. As far as getting it off? I got a frame in here a while back that was powder coated. Took it to my guy and he dropped it in a big vat. Thirty minutes later, there wasn't a trace left on the frame. Bob L

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”