Flathead 45 dies after 1 min running

I have a 45” Flathead G Solo, it was running, now I can’t get it to fire over while kickstarting, and if I jump start it, it will die after 1 min of running.

All flathead topics
kitabel
Bikes: 2008 96" Fat Boy TC

Re: Flathead 45 dies after 1 min running

Post by kitabel » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:07 am

The tough part is trying to keep all the cam chest contents in time (marks lining up) because they all want to jump out when the cover comes off. With the engine in the frame it's even worse, since you can't tilt the engine on the left side. Big rubber bands can hold all of the tappets up away from the cams. Read the manual very carefully about how to line up the breather rotor.

Smokimoto
Bikes: 1941 Indian Scout 741
1951 Harley Flathead 45

Post by Smokimoto » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:10 am

FIXED: I had 2 issues.

First one was starting the bike. I swapped the mag for a battery and distributor setup, it fires over easily now. So, I sent the mag back to have it looked at.

Second one is the bike would die within 1 minute of running. I was kicking the bike over and it would keep dying, like it was running out of fuel, but then it would kick over again and then run another minute. One time, fuel started running over the top of the bowl and when I pulled the bowl, the needle head was wedged between the fingers. So, I separated the top and bottom fingers a little to add more free play to the needle head. The bike kicked over and ran fine after that, doesn’t die now.

I’m thinking that why was happening is that the fingers were too tight and would wedge on the head of the float bowl keeping the float from raising to full height. When I would run the bike, it would run out of fuel quickly. I’m not sure if this is what was happening, but it’s working now after separating the fingers a little.

nan00k
Bikes: '65 FL Sold and regretted in the same day
Vincent Comet
WL
Triumph Morgo Project

Post by nan00k » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:51 am

happy ending, please report back what the results of the magneto investigation found.

Return to “Flathead and Servicar”