Vibrations: trying to smooth out the old bike

Fast Ed 53

Vibrations: trying to smooth out the old bike

Post by Fast Ed 53 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:50 pm

This winter I played with the notion of trying to smooth out the old bike at cruising speed so I thought I would try filling the frame with lead shot. I started with the seat post and the backbone, before I started I hit the backbone with a rubber mallet and every thing loose on the bike rattled (kicker pedal, license bracket, foward controls) after I installed the lead I hit the backbone and nothing moved or rattled. I then pulled the frontend and filled the lower legs thru the neck, I capped off all the tubes with silicone.
I had already done all of the standard checks of mounts being tight and looked for cracked welds and I was satisfied that I didn't have any problems there.
I rode the bike yesterday about a 100 mi. loop and I'm positive that I've knocked 70% of the vibrations off this bike, rear view mirror is crystal clear at 70.
I know this is not for everybody and maybe I was being a little picky but it worked for me and it improved the ride quite a bit.
My pan is a stripped down bike with nothing on it so I didn't think it would hurt to ad the weight (18lbs). Just thought I would throw it out there and see what you guys think. Thank's, Ed

panache

Re: Vibrations

Post by panache » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:16 pm

FastEd,

sounds like you've developed a BarSnake -- but for the whole bike! Audiophile types have been filling their tube-steel speaker stands with lead shot, sand, or a mix of both for a long time. Some speaker manufacturers of larger floor standing units have built hollow cavities in the walls of their speakers for sand filling once moved into place. This damping prevents a lot of frame/cabinet resonances from even starting. But, you're the first that I've heard of that's tried doing this with a whole bike frame! Thats great! Great post!

Fast Ed 53

Re: Vibrations

Post by Fast Ed 53 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:49 am

Thanks panache, I got the idea from shooting trap years ago, we use to fill the bolt hole of the stock of the shotgun with shot to absorb some of the kick, at least till I could afford mercury recoil reducers. Ed

Return to “Troubleshooting”