Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Starting problems, impossible to kick start

Frank
Bikes: 1958 FL

Starting problems, impossible to kick start

Post by Frank » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:59 pm

Description: The thing is all of a sudden impossible to kick start

Ok this has to b e the strangest problem I have come across in 20 years of playing with motorcycles! I have a 60' pan. The thing is all of a sudden impossible to kick start. two weeks ago I was out for a normal daily ride. I put about 6-70 miles on the bike and it ran fine. I came home and later that night I remembered I needed to run out to the store a mile from my house The bike started fine (usual 2-4 kicks). I run to the store some back and it ran fine. Next day I go to start the bike and nothing. The battery and lights are good. But I'm kicking and kicking. Honestly I kicked it for an hour. I started looking at the points, the carb etc. After a whole day of playing with it - it still would not start. It is basically the same way almost 2 weeks later. I cannot figure what the hell is wrong with it. So let me tell you what I have done so far and then maybe (I hope to God) someone will have had this happen and knows where to look next.

The bike will run if you bump start it or if it 'catches'. This only happens like once in 30 mins of trying. It is so easy to bump start my girlfriend pushed me twice and within two feet it starts. Once it starts the thing runs totally normal. I mean it will idle all day long, not foul plugs, has plenty of power etc. It is totally normal, except I can't kick start it. The clutch does not seem to be slipping when I ride it even two -up, and I have a normal feeling Kick start pedal, so i doubt that the clutch is slipping.

I have tried starting fluid and it still won't start with that!
I check for spark and it looks strong.
I did a compression check and both cylinders are within 3-5 PSI of each other (the motor only have 1,000 miles on it)
I changed the plugs (they looked normal - light tan)
I re-timed the bike.
I drained ALL the gas and the float bowl and got new gas.
I sprayed WD40 all around the intake fittings when it was running to check for vacuum leaks.

Oh and the bike is running a S&S 'E' and an Auto Advance Points breaker

foot

Re: Starting problems, impossible to kick start

Post by foot » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:18 pm

spraying WD40 has no purpose. It's no longer flamable
(gov'ment protecting us from ourselves) not very accurate when is WAS flamable.

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:14 pm

Pressure test the intake manifold. The WD40 method is unreliable at best. If it's an intake leak, not sure why it would bump start real easy but not kick start. Got me scratchin' my head.

-Craig

Frank

Post by Frank » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:41 pm

I'm not feeling it's an intake leak for a few reasons. First it happened like overnight, and those things seem to take time to happen. Second once I do bump start it the thing idles smooth as silk and doesn't hesitate or anything. Shut the thing down and try to start it and I'm kicking forever, and that is on a throughly warmed up engine?

How about the weights in the timer sticking open somehow? Broken advance weight spring?

RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:32 pm

For the few bucks it costs, I'd try a new condensor. They can cause some strange starting problems when bad.

mtnspan

Post by mtnspan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:34 pm

Check your batteries voltage, I know mine is very hard to start if the battery does not have a good charge. I can kick until I'm worn out, but it will bump start quite easily.

Frank

Post by Frank » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:05 pm

Battery Voltage is good. In fact after it got low from trying to start it for 1/2 hour I put a charger on it (2 amp). I even tried to start it while it was on the charger and the voltage was like 13 volts not running, and still nothing.

I will drop a new condenser in. I tried running and starting it without the condenser hooked up and it was still the same, it just arced at the points without it.

Return to “Troubleshooting”