Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

every time i fix somthin somthin else breaks

dusty dan
Bikes: 57-58 fhl

every time i fix somthin somthin else breaks

Post by dusty dan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:45 am

So i did a valve adjust and adjusted the clutch and my 58 is rollin down the highway passing brand new baggers at AZ bike week. I get off the freeway and the kicker is grinding. It sounds like it wont disengadge. I've been told that there is a spring inside the kick starter that has a tendancy to break. Any advice?

Cotten

Re: every time i fix somthin somthin else breaks

Post by Cotten » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:20 pm

DD!

That occurred recently to a customer of mine when he forgot that the tranny uses oil as well as the motor.

Not only will the fatigued kickclutch spring need replacement, but probably the outer kickclutch gear, and the inner gear's bushing as well.
It is all easily accessed through the kicker cover, but even though I have a puller, the old gear had shrunk from heat so badly that we had to cut the gear off with a whizzerwheel.

....Cotten

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: every time i fix somthin somthin else breaks

Post by caschnd1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:26 pm

Dan,

In addition to what Cotton mentioned, I've also seen a problem like your describing when the starter gear mainshaft bushing was too tight. This is probably only likely if the bushing has been recently replaced. Also, if the problem is a tight bushing, the kicker arm will usually move into the "down" position by itself when the motor is running.

-Craig

Return to “Troubleshooting”