First start

Pan57Johan
Bikes: 1957 Bobber
1950 BSA Bobber

First start

Post by Pan57Johan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:25 am

Im running a Linkert and have problems to start the engine The carb just flooded and I got to run onley one time.
Spark fully retarded, is that clockwise on the circuit breaker?

Its 6V, but whats the least volt the coil need to worke properly, and would a 12V system be more reliable?

Thanks, Johan

partshunt
Panhead Register Member

Re: First start

Post by partshunt » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:24 am

Johan: Your not too clear to me on the flooding. Did you flood the linkert by overchocking? or did it flood by itself like a stuck float would give where fuel was just spewing out endlessly. Clockwise is retard. Ignition wise, 6 volt is not really any different than 12 volt, the ignition coils are both wound to deliver 20,000 odd volts to the spark plugs. 5 to 5.8 volts is the trouble zone when kicking the engine over to start...Joe

Pan57Johan
Bikes: 1957 Bobber
1950 BSA Bobber

Post by Pan57Johan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:30 pm

I just checked and there were onley 4.3 volt in the battery. And I had the choke closed too long. Is the best way to go by retard the breakers (half way or fully?), flooding it a couple of kicks, then turn on the ignition and let the choke up two or three notches and then kick again?

partshunt
Panhead Register Member

Post by partshunt » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Every one will probably have a slight different procedure since not every engine/carb and timing is exactly the same. However, all the Harleys I,v had been quite similar in starting procedures...... To do a cold start, fully choke with throttle quite well opened, give it two kicks. Close the throttle. set the timing just off full retard, open the choke to one notch from fully open and turn on the ignition. Give it good boot with the throttle just cracked open slightly and and it should start right away. Hot starting is a different story and that hog will probably train you as to what it likes, they all seem to differ a bit there...Joe

beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Post by beets » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:25 am

If it doesn't start after 2-3 kicks, then it is flooded. Open the choke and throttle and kick until it trys to start. You will probably have to choke it a little then to get it to start.

This works on my 56FL with 74B carb. For hot starts I leave the choke open and the throttle closed. The tricky part is when the bike has cooled , but is not fully cold. It's a guessing game how much to choke it then.

Return to “Troubleshooting”