Thanks for post feature available again: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17581

Panhead rear header pipe glowing orange

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Panhead rear header pipe glowing orange

Post by Bosheff » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:04 pm

I have never tried to kick start a pan or anything else that was timed 180* out, but I gotta believe there are gonna be indicators that tell ya somethin ain't kosher. One would be the fact that it "seemed like it took 10,000 kicks" to get it to fire. Another would be that ya got fire shootin out the throat of the carb and ignition goin on in yer exhaust system. There would be other signs also be those would probably be two of the most obvious. I'm just havin a hard time believin that if one managed to fire it up that far outta time, there would be any kinda throttle response at all, which you would need to keep the beast runnin to the point the exhaust turn cherry/orange. Is it possible ya got after flywheels with the timin marks in a location not consistant with yer pan? As said previously stated, anvance the timing a bit and note the results. If this takes ya in the right direction, bump it a little more and see if it responds favorably. The problem is there somewhere, you just gotta do yer detective work. Good luck....bosheff

Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville

Post by Scrap » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:17 am

Bosheff wrote:I have never tried to kick start a pan or anything else that was timed 180* out, but I gotta believe there are gonna be indicators that tell ya somethin ain't kosher. One would be the fact that it "seemed like it took 10,000 kicks" to get it to fire. Another would be that ya got fire shootin out the throat of the carb and ignition goin on in yer exhaust system. There would be other signs also be those would probably be two of the most obvious. I'm just havin a hard time believin that if one managed to fire it up that far outta time, there would be any kinda throttle response at all, which you would need to keep the beast runnin to the point the exhaust turn cherry/orange. Is it possible ya got after flywheels with the timin marks in a location not consistant with yer pan? As said previously stated, anvance the timing a bit and note the results. If this takes ya in the right direction, bump it a little more and see if it responds favorably. The problem is there somewhere, you just gotta do yer detective work. Good luck....bosheff
The motor did run, but the bike never would have made it 5 feet down the road....no doubt the bike in this thread is not 180 off but timing is certainly a possible suspect.

Panshovevo
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo » Sat May 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Hoping to see an update on this thread. Did you find the problem?

Regards,
John

Return to “Troubleshooting”