Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold

Re: 1969 Shovelhead engine rebuild

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Kewl beans, all the suggestions have been on the money.
Been bumping my 69 hot rod for over ten years,
one hint I might add,
why she's all apart keen Sert The exhuast bolts, trust me you will thank me later.
These puppies are bullet proof.
Will follow your posting with zeall.
Que viva los slabbies..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:25 pm

When pan... OK you want to do your own lower end. Read, the knowledge base has some great stuff, absorb it. Read the manual procedure. Read the post in the knowledge base, under Motor, then Fly wheels, it explains a lot about flywheel thrust washers. I personally don't have expertise in flywheels with thrust washers as messed up as yours. If you're gonna do this yourself don't try to cut corners. Respectfully, I never want to give bad advice. I would rather you consider me ignorant than a hack. Some of your questions reveal you anxious to get this done. With precision motor work, patience is the by word. Be honest with yourself, you bought this motor recently, it was not done correctly, the amount of money you spend will be needed to do the job properly. Have you visualized what made the rods run so crooked? Respectfully, a couple posts ago, you were hoping to not break down the flywheels. In the old days, in the garage, guys would rattle the exposed rods after the top end was off. Each would give an opinion. Your rods wouldn't pass even this unscientific method.
This site has a reputation for high quality information, it has helped me and others through some rough problems. Most of us have been through trying to help someone out who doesn't have the money fix something with all good intentions. And later get a bad rap because the fix didn't last or something else was affected. Do it once and do it right.

My 2 cents
Andygears

whenpancomestoshovel
Bikes: Pan

Post by whenpancomestoshovel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:57 pm

Hey Andy,

Thanks for advicing me to go to knowledge base. Some great info there. I'm just reading though trying to soak some up.
I should state that I don't want to cut any corner either. I really want to do this the best I can (within reasonable limits). I don't have a mechanic nearby, and I dont feel like I can send it away thousands of miles to have it rebuilt. Especially when I've come this far. I would never blame someone else for a mishap in my garage. I'm responsible to determine if the advice I'm getting is reasonable and if they should be acted upon...

I havent identified what caused the trashed washer. Perhaps the evidence of this has been removed by the previous owner. The only thing I can think of which I havent checked is for bent connecting rods.

Unfortunetly I did not check for bent rods prior to disassembly. Can I just ask:
Are there any accurate ways of identifying bent rods with rods being out of flywheels?
My only idea thus far would be to machine two rods for each end. Then fit these to the rods and measure for parallelity. Any other ideas?

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:03 pm

My motor guy told me I had bent rods, too. The motor was disassembled. He showed me they were bent by simply holding them together on the big end, looked at the distance between the small ends, then flipped them both over and compared the other way. They were visibly different. Yes, it a quick check for being evenly parallel. But this down and dirty method won't show a twist, I don't think.
I'll point out that admittedly, I'm not a motor guy, so I can't vouch for the validity of this method. But he showed me and I saw it. You've got the rods out, give it a try- sure can't hurt.

whenpancomestoshovel

Post by whenpancomestoshovel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Bigincher wrote:My motor guy told me I had bent rods, too. The motor was disassembled. He showed me they were bent by simply holding them together on the big end, looked at the distance between the small ends, then flipped them both over and compared the other way. They were visibly different. Yes, it a quick check for being evenly parallel. But this down and dirty method won't show a twist, I don't think.
I'll point out that admittedly, I'm not a motor guy, so I can't vouch for the validity of this method. But he showed me and I saw it. You've got the rods out, give it a try- sure can't hurt.
That sounds pretty hands on :D I cant see any difference on mine, but the trashed thrust washer surely causes some suspisions.

whenpancomestoshovel

Post by whenpancomestoshovel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:57 pm

I did some measurements today. From advice I decided to machine a rod for big end, and another for small end. This allowed me to measure twist.

I did the measurements by moving a micrometer vertically while measuring horizontal movement. I did 4 vertical measurements on each rod (each 45 degrees apart). Measurement was over a vertical distance of about 2".

I found the female rod to be "angled" 0.003" at worst.

The male rod was 0.015" at worst!!

I also measured how much vertical play there was between each rod face. This was 0.002".

My final measurement was to measure between small end face to washer face on big end. On one side I measured 0.317" (8.06mm), and on the other side 0.362" (9.205mm). Should this be asymmetric?! Big end on my female is 1.744" (44.3mm) wide. How wide should this be?

Anyone did these measurements on okay rods before? The horizontal measurement for male rod is a bit concerning however... Maybe it's just a bad bushing?

The asymmetric measurement for big end to small end is a little concerning too if they are suppose to be symmtric.

Return to “Shovelhead & other models”