Crack above inner cam bearing and rebuild questions

All Shovelhead and other models topics
woz
Bikes: Evo chop
Gen Shovel basket case
FXRT

Crack above inner cam bearing and rebuild questions

Post by woz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:16 am

I picked up a generator shovel recently, it has aftermarket cases that I believe are early Cal products but please chime in if you think otherwise. There is a crack above the inner cam bearing that appears to have been fixed before, the previous owner passed away so I do not have much back story. The heads and barrels were already off when I got it and the cam chest was also disassembled, everything wrapped neatly in boxes.

I have called around to a few shops in socal to see about getting the case repaired and have some reasonable prices I think. 2 different shops told me that they could try and repair it but there is a chance it will just crack again, another shop said a "cheap fix" would be to drill a small hole at the top of the crack and if it stops there I'm good. Certainly not the right way to go about it but if anyone has experience with that I'd like to hear about the outcome.

The next bit is rebuilding the bottom end, I have gotten quotes for just the repair and for a bottom end rebuild. I would really like to do the rebuild myself but I have zero experience with bottom end work. I started reading up on it and watching videos on youtube, gaining a bit more confidence to dive into it but not there yet. So a few questions, from what I am reading disassembling the flywheels seemed to be suggested when splitting the cases, is there any time this isn't the case or are there measurements I can take to see if it is not needed? What else should be replaced while I'm in there besides anything that is worn? Part of me is hoping the bottom end was gone through and the case cracked (again) not too long after and everything is in great shape. *crossed fingers*

Finally is there anything specific I should look for if I end up breaking it down that could have caused the crack?

Here is a pic of the crack and also one of the left side case for any ID help

Thanks in advance!

Larry
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: -

Re: Crack above inner cam bearing and rebuild questions

Post by Larry » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:38 pm

First thing I would do is get some Dye Check from a welding supply and find out how far the crack really has traveled.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Sage, practical direction. I do not think that's a Call Case.
Larry wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:38 pm
First thing I would do is get some Dye Check from a welding supply and find out how far the crack really has traveled.

woz
Gen Shovel basket case
FXRT

Post by woz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Larry wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:38 pm
Thanks, I will try and grab some today! Would you do that with the cases assembled? One of my fears is the crack having traveled higher on the inside. Is loosening the case bolts and popping the right side case off going to cause any real issues? It seems like that would be easy enough to do and then just reseal the cases but I might be missing something

Buddhahoodvatoloco wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:25 pm
I do not think that's a Call Case.
Any other ideas? Forgot to include a good pic of the symbols on either side of the numbers

woz
Gen Shovel basket case
FXRT

Post by woz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:03 pm

Here is a link to an album with pics of the cam chest

A few things I noticed,

-cam bushing is loose, its tight once its in but I can pull it out by hand
-pinion gear teeth are worn
-pinion gear bushing looks worn and has a very small step, could be from reamer?
-cam has some wear, possibly still useable?
-spacers for circuit breaker gear and idler gear look kinda shitty, not sure that really matters though as long as they are square?
-gear studs look worn but possibly just from where spacers ride on them

All just visual for now, I am going to need to pick up some mics to do all the measuring.

1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:48 pm

Finally is there anything specific I should look for if I end up breaking it down that could have caused the crack?
The crack was caused by weak cases and also occurs in original cases.
You need to cut .125" slot down the crack center and heliarc so the cases are one solid piece, surface welding is insufficient.
Then you need to rebore the bearing hole, this done with a modified gear cover with a guide to get the hole in the right place.

Larry
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: -

Post by Larry » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:08 pm

And then you've got to deal with the distortion caused by weld shrinkage.

knuckgush
Bikes: 1951 EL
1968 FLH
1949 Pan/Shovel
1947 FL
1960 Model G Servi-Car

Post by knuckgush » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 pm

The case shown in your picture is a, “House of Horsepower” case. You can tell by location of their numbers (NOT on the VIN number pad, but right of it) and the “bird” on either side of the #’s.. One of my bikes have a HoH left side case. I hear they are thicker & extra strong for drag racing.

woz
Gen Shovel basket case
FXRT

Post by woz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 pm

knuckgush wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 pm
The case shown in your picture is a, “House of Horsepower” case. You can tell by location of their numbers (NOT on the VIN number pad, but right of it) and the “bird” on either side of the #’s.. One of my bikes have a HoH left side case. I hear they are thicker & extra strong for drag racing.
Thanks for the info!

I dropped the motor off with a reputable builder in my area, he is going to do the repair and a full rebuild, maybe I'll tackle the next one myself.

Return to “Shovelhead”