Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

Clutch gear noise

All Shovelhead and other models topics
Frazier
Bikes: Panhead

Clutch gear noise

Post by Frazier » Mon May 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Have a 1974 shovelhead that on occasion when starting out from a dead stop in first gear letting out the clutch the whole thing shakes and makes a terrible gear grinding noise and the bike has a real bad vibration over 60 mph to the point that i cant drive it on fwys but have to take it on side roads or trailer it to a different town if the only way to get there is on a fwy then take it off the trailer and ride it around that town then trailer it home . This bike i bought a couple years ago and every time i work on it i find something stupid like no clip on the master link or the primary chain adjuster installed upside down , or the front end put together wrong so when you put on the front brake the front end goes clunk ! I jacked up the front of the bike and i could push the front wheel 3” back and forth cause whoever put the front end on just put the top tree right on the bearing then put that thin scalloped edged locater nut upside down on top and hid it all with a cheap cover on top. So i guess now i will have to take the primary and trans all apart and find out what the problem is . Maybe i should just go buy a Honda

Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville

Re: Clutch gear noise

Post by Scrap » Mon May 21, 2018 11:35 pm

Have you prepaid the undertaker?

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Tue May 22, 2018 1:34 am

If the clutch is assembled wrong (steel on steel) or very contaminated plates, it can screech, grind, and howl when engaging. Full service needs to be done. As for the vibration, it can be anything from loose engine mounting, to a totally tweaked crankshaft, to a broken frame. Lots of possibilities, none cheap, and none easy. Lots of early Cone Shovels were shakers, but none so bad you can't ride, that is absurd. Did you get the 5 year 50,000 mile warranty with it? :mrgreen:

Edaddy
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 65 panhead

Post by Edaddy » Tue May 22, 2018 4:20 am

These old bikes take a lot of work and time to keep them running well and safely. My riding season has been delayed several weeks with a broken throw out bearing, most of that time spent waiting for parts. Break in on the new rings and pistons still has another 100 miles off the freeway.
You might want to consider selling the shovel and buying a newer bike or a v twin jap bike if you want to ride without having to understand how it works and how or who to fix it.
Often that horrible grinding noise is a pretty straightforward fix - start with your clutch and tranny, diagnosing and checking adjustments.
Chains all good.? Alignment of tranny and engine?
My last horrible grinding noise was $30 of parts and maybe a day working on it.
Ya gotta love em enough to do the wrenching.

Frazier

Post by Frazier » Tue May 22, 2018 5:33 am

Yea ive been putting off tearing this thing down mainly because i only have a one car garage and im in the final stages of a pan chopper ive been building for many years and frankly dont have enough room to have two bikes torn down at the same time, in order to work on the pan i have to wheel the shovel out of the garage. Might just buy a revtec tranny and a belt drive and change it all over on a weekend . Then i can go through the old tranny when i have more space and time. Courious though whats causing all the vibrations and gear grinding noises , will post what i find when i tear into it

nmaineron
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron » Tue May 22, 2018 1:48 pm

I think you just have one of the bikes that made Harley famous. I had one and I feel your pain.I had it balanced and the guy said it was the worst he had ever seen. But, I tore it down to the paint and built it back up again. Nothing fancy, just did it by the book. I had a great machine when it was all said and done.

Edaddy
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 65 panhead

Post by Edaddy » Tue May 22, 2018 2:36 pm

Ok that makes me feel better about your situation. You do know about these bikes. I can understand wanting to be able to ride while the other bike is still in process.
Do think it is the tranny making all the grinding noise?

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Tue May 22, 2018 6:37 pm

I'd look at the clutch, and then the motor mounts, as was mentioned.
VPH-D

Frazier

Post by Frazier » Tue May 22, 2018 8:29 pm

Yea i bought this thing cause it was cheap and id have something to ride while i got the other one finished. Sometimes it makes that awful grinding sound so i have to feather the clutch and sometimes it doesent , just went over a month without it makeing the grinding noise but it just started up again. But it always vibrates like hell over 60 mph , took it on the hwy once and had to stop every couple of miles cause my hands and arms would fall asleep from all the vibration, its the only motorcycle ive had where i have to be real carefull how close a car is behind me or the line i take in a turn just in case something blows and locks up the back wheel ! Dont want to skid into oncomming traffic ! Or have some jerk run me over ! Kinda takes the fun out of the wind in your face motorcycleing experence etc. guess ill just have to putt around on one of the dirt bikes for a while till i have a chance to fix it .

cant-drive-55
Bikes: 59FLH, 76FXE

Post by cant-drive-55 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:04 am

Destroyed/ missing roller bearings on drive gear. Bent mainshaft.

Frazier

Post by Frazier » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:59 pm

Yep could be , but whatever it is its not constant happens every now and then and then it stops for a while , thought it might have been a loose comp sprocket cause thats kinda where the noise is comming from but i looked in the inspection hole where you adjust the primary chain and it has a solid eng sprocket. Id really like to tear into it and find the problem but just dont have the time or space right now , only have 3 sq feet of space on the workbench and that is filled with panhead parts witch is a hole other headace !

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:17 am

I'd check the top motor mount...

Return to “Shovelhead”