Clutch Hub Stud Replacement

All Shovelhead and other models topics
orthros
Bikes: First year Shovelhead dresser

Clutch Hub Stud Replacement

Post by orthros » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:35 am

Need to replace 1 or 2 Clutch Hub Studs in a first year shovelhead. Looks scary, is it? Things to do, things not to do? Haven't peened anything since high school. (HeHe) Can't remember if it's one of the threaded ones or not. Does it make a difference? Got a source for some genuine HD studs and don't want to screw this up. Can't remember is clutch hub nut is lefty tighty, righty loosie or the other way.
TIA

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold
1940 U
1937 EL

Re: Clutch Hub Stud Replacement

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Righty loosie

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:44 am

It helps to have the stud installer tool, but isn't absolutely necessary....bosheff

panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:59 am

Its not a difficult job with a small ball peen hammer. I successfully replaced all the clutch hub studs on my 69 FLH, peening each one. Grind the backside of the old off. Find a good solid method to support the hub . Tap out old stud. Tap in new stud and make sure its seated at the correct depth. Once in all the way, it should be parallel to the rest of the studs, but run a fiber disk on to help check for anything out of kilter. Back up the opposite end of the stud with something a bit softer (brass block maybe) and peen the stud in place. Peen starting in the center and go around, eventually working your way out to edge. Your not going to do it in 2 or 3 blows of the hammer.

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead,
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:37 pm

This set me back a week: Finding and ordering the part. Grinding the peen off of the back side and driving the broken stub out from the back. Then peening the new stud back in place. What a wonderful waste of time and effort because I did not use my puller correctly....Doh....
RooDog
DSC02451.JPG
DSC02455.JPG
DSC02451.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:33 pm

You are only replacing one or two studs so not much worries. Just make sure you back up your work well, so as not to distort the outer flange of the hub and throw it out of round.
I found a few pics of when I did this.
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0533.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

41Craig
Bikes: 1941ULH - 1950EL - 1942EL - 1937UL - 1973GE - 1939U

Post by 41Craig » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 pm

orthros; I was replacing my grooved clutch hub studs during a break, while working in the machine shop at the old Wagner Electric Corp. in the early '70's. I was peening the back of the studs and an older drill press set up man said "Let me show you something". The studs were mushrooming and splitting. He took a small center drill and placed it in a drill press. He put a V in the center of of the stud. (Not very deep) When I started to peen it from the center out it worked perfectly. NO SPLITS !!
Craig

orthros

Post by orthros » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:50 pm

Many thanks for all the fantastic info on this part of the maintenance, this is much more information that I could ever wish to find on the Net. Will try to find a FUBAR hub and practice on that with some Chinese studs before I attempt to repair a good one. I haven't even pulled mine off yet since it works ok so far but why wait till the last minute. Once again, thank you.

Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm

One of the keys is ensuring you support the whole assembly so that when you are peening the new stud in place you are not also hammering it out the other end. I've gotten the point of just inserting the studs and welding them on the back. I doubt I'll wear them out in my lifetime anyway, so future replacement is not a major concern.

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead,
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:33 pm

I found that grinding and drilling the peened end of the broken stud to be much more time consuming and bothersome than installing and peening the new stud. Welding is OK too. Drilling the stud helps relieve the pressure holding it in place even with the mushroomed head removed.....
RooDog

orthros

Post by orthros » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:27 am

I agree, that welding is a lot easier but that basically changes the metallurgical characteristics of the base metal and forever screws up a 52 year old part. Me, I'd like to practice on a POS till I got it right then do my hub like back in the days when men were men and sheep were nervous. Call me a purist but enough of the old ways are lost to the sands of time. Anyway, I appreciate the wealth of information I have gleaned off this site from the knowledgeable individuals here and from the site itself. I just hope the shovelhead god smile upon me at my next problem.

Return to “Shovelhead”