jobo12
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1973 FLH
1998 XL 1200
1948 Panhead (gone)

Re-piping oil lines for primary belt drive

Post by jobo12 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:21 am

Hi, I have a 1973 shovelhead with a big-inch motor. I have been running a primary belt drive with some of the oil pump connections blocked off. While doing a re-fit, I've decided to strip out the oil lines and simplify my oiling system. Below are sketches of the original oil system and my proposed changes. Is this a workable modification, or am I making a screw-up that could cook my engine?
oil lines1.jpg
Here are my proposed changes:
OL change1.jpg
To be honest, it looks a little scary to me (almost TOO simplistic), so I would appreciate any comments/advice. There is a huge wealth of experience and knowledge here, and I would appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks in advance,
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Resto-Mod Panhead, 1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead, 1984 Evo
100" Bagger

Re: Re-piping oil lines for primary belt drive

Post by RooDog » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:29 pm

It looks good to me, just be sure to ventilate the primary case, but you have probably already done that since you have been running that belt for some tine. Your plumbing should basically mimic an old Panhead's connections, but with the external vent run anywhere else other than into the primary......
RooDog

jobo12
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1998 XL 1200
1948 Panhead (gone)

Post by jobo12 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:11 am

OKay, great-- thanks for the reply. Yeah, I left the chaincase vent nipple open to atmosphere when I installed the belt, and I'm considering using vented derby and inspection covers for the refit.
I guess my biggest concern was that the original primary drive unit was a sealed system that ran at a vacuum of up to 12" Hg. So I was concerned that removing and plugging the primary return line might mess with the way the oil pump scavenging system worked. Glad to hear I was over-thinking it. The oil pump hose connection area is a crowded, jammed mess of tubing-- I'm looking forward to clearing it out and cleaning it up.
Thanks again,
Joe

Doc37W
Bikes: '37 W,'41 ULH,'59 FLH Handshift,'69 Fl Handshift w/sidecar,

Post by Doc37W » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:06 am

jobo12, Be sure to block off the suction fitting that is between the oil pump and engine case. It leads to a passage to the breather gear and if you leave it open, it can suck all manners of crap into the engine, scaring the bore and/or other parts in the cam chest. On '73s, it looks like a long hex shaped bar with a oil line nipple machined on the end. Since it's a PITA to put a small 1/8" pipe plug in that space, I remove the fitting, tap the nipple end for a 5/16" X 24 TPI X 3/4" long bolt, wrap a little teflon pipe tape around said bolt & threads on the fitting, install the bolt in the fitting, and reinstall the fitting back in the case. If you ever decide to return to the original set-up (NEVER!! Even if you go back to a primary chain, Just plug the feed & return holes, and add 4-6 ozs of 60wt, to the sealed case.), you can remove the bolt without removing the fitting from the engine. Doc

jobo12
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1998 XL 1200
1948 Panhead (gone)

Post by jobo12 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:54 am

Thanks for the reply, Doc. I appreciate the tip about how to block off the chaincase suction fitting. There's dam' little room to work around the pump hose connection area, and trying to fit a tiny pipe plug in between the pressure switch and the rear chain oiler pipe would suck big-time.
As for reconnecting the primary back to the oil system-- I totally agree. Even if I needed to go back to the chain drive, I'd run the primary sealed-- I'm running a Barnett "wet or dry" clutch, so there's no problem with running the oil bath.
Thanks again,
Joe

jobo12
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1998 XL 1200
1948 Panhead (gone)

Post by jobo12 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:07 am

Got the new oil lines set up, and I'm pretty happy with the way they worked out. Really cleaned up the rat's nest behind the oil pump. The oil lines are a little big, & the fittings are a little clunky, but the inside diameters are 3/8", and they sure ain't gonna' kink or collapse when they get hot.

Now if someone has a tip on how to remove and plug off the primary chain oiler, I'd be happy as a clam. I used Doc's tip about how to tap and plug the primary return nipple-- it worked great, but returning the plugged nipple to its hole in the case nearly drove me nuts. I used up all my patientce and half my vocabulary of foul language, but finally got it seated (after removing the pressure switch)-- its a clean fix.
Thanks again, folks, I appreciate the advice.
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Shovelhead”