Parts Father's 66 FLH -- $15000

mrmoto
Bikes: 47 WL 45, 42 WLA, 49 Hummer, 46 Chief, 43 741

Parts Father's 66 FLH -- $15000

Post by mrmoto » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:14 pm

Vern "Parts Father: Douglas was a legendary and nearly mythic motorcycle mechanic in Missoula Montana from the mid 1970s until he died in April 1995. He had a small shop at his house in East Missoula, where he would fix elderly Harleys, Indians and what ever old junk you would bring to him. He would philosophize about motorcycles and women and perform miracles on worn out engines and trannies while drinking drinking beer and smoking pot. Several of his bikes graced the pages of Easyriders magazine in those two decades.

You can read about Parts Father in Fred Haefele's memoir "Rebuilding the Indian"

His favorite bike was a Silver and Black first year Shovelhead that he rode to Sturgis several times. When he died, his best buddy, Rick Myers inherited the bike. Rick was also a renowned bike builder, painter and metal bender in Missoula. He rode the bike occasionally but he preferred his own creation named Igor, so the Shovel did not get out much. Rick died in 2010 and now I am trying to sell the bike for Rick's widow, Donna.

The shovel is mostly original. It has the 66 engine with the slotted type rocker arm screws and 66 casting numbers on the heads, and original four speed, ratchet top tranny with kick and electric starter. Original 65-69 primary covers, original 66 swing arm frame that has cracked and been repaired with a gussett, original round swing arm and drum brake wheels. The tanks are the correct 65-66 versions with the petcock on the left side. Original fenders and saddlebags. The bike comes with windscreens and two marshmallow buddy seats. New battery and oil change. Original 12 volt generator but the carb was replaced by a later shovel Kehin type. New Speedometer. Valid Montana title ready to be signed over to the new owner.

Message me and I will send you my phone number and more photographs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Re: Parts Father's 66 FLH -- $15000

Post by Andygears » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 am

Very nice, and a fair price. The tanks however, were unique, to my knowledge for both '65 and '66. The '65 tanks were one year with the panhead fuel shutoff in the left side of the civilian 5 gallon tanks as in earlier pan tanks. The police tanks were 3 1/2 like earlier pans. The '66 tanks were unique because of the right side petcock with internal threads similar to the '67 - '72 tanks that had them in the left tank. Maybe a late year change in '66 put the petcock on the left because the Linkert DC carb was listed as a half year before the change to Tillotson.

I may be mistaken and would appreciate being corrected.

Still a very nice bike for a reasonable price.

Andygears

Return to “Bikes For Sale”