Project 1955 FLE

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds.
musicnbikes
Bikes: No bikes, at the moment.

Re: Project 1955 FLE

Post by musicnbikes » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Panpal,
I respect and appreciate your opinion, and thank you.
I reason I bought the engine is because at the end of the day, I wanted a real Harley panhead engine, complete with title. I’m going to buy a straight leg frame, and transmission, then go from there. I’m going to search for original parts, especially the 1 year only parts. If it proves to become too difficult to obtain them, then I will use repops where applicable. The main objectives for me are, valid HD titled engine and building it myself. If I can find original parts that aren’t insanely priced, then fantastic, if not, I’ll build it anyway.
I’ve started a list, I just need to compile part numbers for everything.

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
59 FLH running restoration
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:42 pm

I'm looking forward to more posts on your project. Sounds like fun no matter which way you go.

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:34 am

Sounds like you're approaching this right. Piecing together a bike is not easy and will tax your mechanical abilities. And sorting it out once running takes more time. But if you have the patience, riding a bike that you built is pretty damn Kool. Realize that it will take huge amounts of time and you will likely make mistakes and will cost twice what you think. Post pictures, ask questions and this site will help. Good luck!

Andygears

kitabel
Bikes: 2008 96" Fat Bot TC

Post by kitabel » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:17 am

Before you spend any money on the engine, make sure that the VIN stamp is original. It appears that the number actually exists (some numbers are not possible, too complex for now), but the engine may not really be a 1955.
This is also a 1 year only sprocket shaft, although 1956-* parts interchange.
The right case is frequently cracked between the main bearing cast insert and the cam bearing.
If you give us the casting numbers on all of the major parts we can tell you how much is original. Typically, they will be 2, 3 or 5 digits, then a hyphen, then the first year of use (like 24745-55 is your left case).

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:17 am

Hollywood green was a special edition color, and had some special features. The tool box, oil tank, and primary cover were also painted to match. Not a common paint scheme and very eye catching. Any Big Twin or K-model could be ordered in it so you are fine using it if you like (I like green!). Put a regular FL cam in it and the performance will improve enough for all conditions.
There wasn't a '55 parts book issued but there was a '56 edition. It will give every part number. I can help you with info from the sales brochure, order blank, accessory catalog, and riders handbook.
Robbie

musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:56 pm

PanPal wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:42 pm
I'm looking forward to more posts on your project. Sounds like fun no matter which way you go.
It' does sound fun, and it should work out pretty well for my OCD. I tend to fixate on things, and this will be no different. My new obsession. Thank you.

musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Andygears wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:34 am
Sounds like you're approaching this right. Piecing together a bike is not easy and will tax your mechanical abilities. And sorting it out once running takes more time. But if you have the patience, riding a bike that you built is pretty damn Kool. Realize that it will take huge amounts of time and you will likely make mistakes and will cost twice what you think. Post pictures, ask questions and this site will help. Good luck!

Andygears
That will probably be the single best part of this experience, the final product, and riding something, that really did come from nothing. It will only be better, if parts don't fall off, on the maiden voyage. Lol.

musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:07 pm

kitabel wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:17 am
Before you spend any money on the engine, make sure that the VIN stamp is original. It appears that the number actually exists (some numbers are not possible, too complex for now), but the engine may not really be a 1955.
This is also a 1 year only sprocket shaft, although 1956-* parts interchange.
The right case is frequently cracked between the main bearing cast insert and the cam bearing.
If you give us the casting numbers on all of the major parts we can tell you how much is original. Typically, they will be 2, 3 or 5 digits, then a hyphen, then the first year of use (like 24745-55 is your left case).
Are you saying my numbers are probably fake? The number is 2808, and was verified by a state trooper. Please explain why you feel this way. I may have misunderstood what you are saying.
I'll try to post parts and their corrosponding numbers later today, or tomorrow. If I learn how to post pictures, I'll post the vin plus belly numbers for you all to see. The engine has had some work done, a broken front engine mount,and has a crack on the rear cylinder head, the exhaust port. There's a place in Greenville, SC, Dover Heads, where I'll take it for repairs, unless anyone here recommends someone that would probably be better. Dover has been in business for a long time. They did work out on a 63 panhead that I had, and should've kept. But, I'm sure we've all have stories like that.

musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:15 pm

RUBONE wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:17 am
Hollywood green was a special edition color, and had some special features. The tool box, oil tank, and primary cover were also painted to match. Not a common paint scheme and very eye catching. Any Big Twin or K-model could be ordered in it so you are fine using it if you like (I like green!). Put a regular FL cam in it and the performance will improve enough for all conditions.
There wasn't a '55 parts book issued but there was a '56 edition. It will give every part number. I can help you with info from the sales brochure, order blank, accessory catalog, and riders handbook.
Robbie
Robbie,
Thank you for being so helpful! I really appreciate the helpfulness I've seen in this community, throughout the knowledge base, there are some people on here that know everything about old Harley's. I'm so glad this forum exists. I also own some Heritage springers, and the community for those bikes is pretty amazing too.
Fun fact, I have a 09 harley Crossbones, I almost painted it Hollywood green, but, stayed, instead, with denim black. Now, that I'm building a 55, I'll paint it Hollywood green, and my wife will approve, as she wants me to try to build it as it originally could've been built. That's a win-win.
Part numbers would be great! I need everything, lol. I'm going to take a closer look at the engine parts, and post what I have, then go from there.
Thanks, again!
Benjamin

nmaineron
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:36 pm

I started to build a 55 and have some engins parts that are 55 only if your interested. I have the flywheels and sprocket shaft.

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:39 pm

I don't think many, if any, 55 FLEs were delivered in Hollywood Green, they were aimed at Police Departments. However, the color was available, and it's your bike...
VPH-D

Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Doc37W wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:27 pm
There been a lot of discussion if I was used for Sept or the MOCO skipped it for J.
For date codes on frames H-D used the letter I for September and two of my clearest examples are from 1957 and 1960:

1957 September.jpg
1957 September.jpg (89.19 KiB) Viewed 114 times
1960 September.jpg
1960 September.jpg (23.11 KiB) Viewed 114 times

Other Panhead examples I have photos of or are aware of for September are 4I, 6I, I6, 8I, I0 and 2I.
K-series examples I have photos of are 3I (1953) and 4I (1954).
Shovelhead examples I have photos of are 8I (1968) and I6 (1976).
All are on the R-H side of the frame except the 1976 example which is on the left side as expected for a Shovel frame made that year. (With Shovel frames the earliest date code I’ve seen on the left side is J4).

For date codes on cast-iron parts such as cylinders it seems that Motor Castings Company (MCC) skipped the letter I so you will find the letter M for December.

For date codes on aluminium parts the confusion surrounding the letters I and M is something I’ve been looking into since 2008 and the matter is still not completely resolved. Contrary to what I was told back then (2008), the letter I did not disappear from aluminium codes after 1947. Two years in particular that receive ongoing research are 1948 and 49. Both letters (I and M) can be found in those two years, and sometimes on the same part in the same year. Did the letter I vanish after 1949? No it didn’t but it seems to depend on the part(s) concerned. For example, it can be found on Flathead 45ci parts such as left cases and trans cases cast as late as September 1953 (I53). And we know it is the letter I (as opposed to the number 1) because codes in that letter-numbers format continued for at least three more months on those Flathead parts. Research continues. 8)
Eric

musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:32 pm

If I buy an aftermarket frame, would I have to title the bike as a kit, or could I title it as a 55, as per the Vin? Would I have to use an original frame to title it as a 55?
Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:14 pm

musicnbikes wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:32 pm
If I buy an aftermarket frame, would I have to title the bike as a kit, or could I title it as a 55, as per the Vin? Would I have to use an original frame to title it as a 55?
Thanks for your thoughts on this.
All motorcycles prior to 1970 are registered by the VIN only, so you can use any frame you like.

musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks, so much! That's fantastic news! I won't have to spend 4,000.00 for a frame.

Return to “Projects”