Flashy 45 Coming Soon

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Flashy 45 Coming Soon

Post by Panacea » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi Chad, It's good to see you're still making progress. Nice pics by the way. Mike

Chads
Bikes: 1942 WL....A

Post by Chads » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:37 am

I should make real progress this winter, or at least I hope to. I've got a few parts that will not work for the 45 so may try to sell some to pay for the parts I will need to buy. It feels good to get in to this project seriously.

Chad

Chads

Post by Chads » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:04 am

Getting ready to order some transmission parts and have concerns about quality of the parts. I'm familiar with the quality or general lack thereof with aftermarket imported parts. I also think that some items are fairly well made but that can vary with the type of part. I need clutch hub, counter shaft, shifter clutch and other things. Those are parts that need to be accurately made and durable. So what are your opinions, can I hope to get quality parts if I have to use aftermarket?

Appreciate you thoughts on this.

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:31 am

I liked the Andrews gears I bought for the pan trans. However I don't think any aftermarket shaft is as good as a OEM Harley shaft. IMHO

Chads

Post by Chads » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:46 am

PanPal,
Thanks for the response. Your pan is a 4 speed and this is a 45 3 speed. I had good service from Andrews products in my Shovelheads but don't think they make stuff for 3 speed trans but I will do some checking. Would be cool if they did.

Chad

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:56 am

Clutch hubs and countershafts are available OEM NOS all the time on eBay and other sources. Good original parts are out there for 45 gearboxes. I have never had to buy aftermarket, but I am a patient buyer...
Check with Kickstart, David Sarafan, H-D 45 Restoration, Flatland.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:09 pm

CHAD!---Rubone laid it right out & could not be more truthful!!--You can find a NOS hub from the VENDORS he provided!--Also there are a few more 45-Vendors that Have what you NEED!.Dont get Discouraged ,that your not as far along as you want to be!--(Actually I rarely get things done when wanted!.-(Its is truly a blessing in disguise/ as You get to RETHINK & Re-Measure the Job at hand!.--Its better to have DELAYS -then just bolting-up & going to the next job on order!.This way you CHECK & RECHECK all you have done!-(And THAT CHAD will MAKE ALL the Difference WHEN Finally its GO-TIME!).The 45 is LOOKING GREAT!-(NICE WORK!).About the TRANNY---THERE EASY to REBUILD!--EVEN if you never done one!---Its VERY OBVIOUS that you know how to use Measuring tools & that CHAD is the MOST IMPORTANT!.Take your TIME & FOLLOW The MANUAL!--(Follow AFTERMARKET SUGGESTIONS for their PARTS!---THEY KNOW their stuff! & What works.--Cant wait to see her BREATHE!.---Much RESPECT----RICHIE

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:19 pm

CHAD!---Rubone laid it right out PERFECTLY!---The Vendors he gave STOCK NOS-OEM parts!/Also there are other VENDORS that have OEM parts!--The hub should be no trouble finding!.About the TRANNY!/-Don't get discouraged because you never rebuilt one!/-There QUITE EASY!--(FOLLOW the MANUAL/& Also FOLlow the PARTS (IF AFTERMARKET supplied & set to their SPECS>.They know their parts!.).Once you READ & LOOK at the MIXER it will all make-sense!.-(ALSO I rarely see anyone build a PROPERLY BUILT RUNNER ON TIME!)-So don't let that get your goat!.Its VERY OBVIOUS that you know how to use tools & The more CHECKING & RE-CHECKING the BETTER!.The 45 is LOOKING VERY-NICE!--GOOD-LUCK & much RESPECT---YOUR doing the right thing by ASKING QUESTIONS!/----RICHIE

Chads

Post by Chads » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:11 pm

I've located most of the trans parts I need. I have ordered from 45 Restoration and Flatland in the past, their service was good. I have a 1996 Kick-Start catalog here, but it I guess they do not have a website. I also have a Sarafan parts list from 1991.

I should have pursued this project at that time, parts would have been easier to find and less expensive....but there are a lot of things I should have done.

Making real progress the last few days. I found I have two new replica horns but they are both 12V. I have 3 major things to complete and most of the rest will be assembly. Trans, clutch and sheet metal. At this point I'm doing some assembly around the tanks, shifter, dash, etc. If there are any fit problems it is much easier to deal with them before fresh paint.

I need a front fender, the one I had planned to use is for a big twin springer. There are several on Ebay and 45 Resto and 45 Depot have them listed as does AAOK. Prices are from $100 to over $400. I don't want some poorly made tin foil fender and my budget is unfortunately limited so $400 is I think too much for me. Would appreciate your comments on the fender, PM me if you prefer.

Chad

Chads

Post by Chads » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:09 am

Bringing this thread back to life. I'm getting closer but still have a few things to do. The bike is mostly together. I need to set up fuel and oil lines. I need to prep and paint. I will post some current pics soon.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Excellent job, mad skills.

Return to “Projects”