it started out in boxes

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

it started out in boxes

Post by panfreak » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:05 pm

My project started out as a basket in boxes. In hindsight, some would have said I was crazy. Come to think of it, I did have a few beers that night. Like a deer in the headlights, I couldn't wait to seal the deal and get to work.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (67.85 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (75.15 KiB) Viewed 4033 times

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:10 pm

I started sourcing out parts and learning whatever I needed to know to realize my dream. I originally wanted a chopper, but somewhere along the way, I changed my mind.
Attachments
decisions...jpg
decisions...jpg (57.59 KiB) Viewed 4031 times

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:13 pm

The guy I bought it from told me the frame was garbage, I should throw it away. I guess a welder and a ton of time was in my favor because I managed to reclaim a frame that needed alot of LOVE.
Attachments
bare frame.jpg
bare frame.jpg (84.89 KiB) Viewed 4030 times

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:16 pm

I can't even tell you how many hours it took tracking pieces down and making sure everything worked (or should) but I had finally mocked it up to where I thought it was ready for the finall tear down. At this point I really had my fingers crossed, no turning back now if there was a mistake.
Attachments
Dec 4 mock up.jpg
Dec 4 mock up.jpg (50.22 KiB) Viewed 4028 times

hydra
Site Admin

Post by hydra » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:19 pm

You can be proud, great job. How long did it take?

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:20 pm

I thought I would try and paint it myself, and after that turned out ok, I was on a roll. I had to build a bike lift along the way too, what a great help that was. Here it is, I'm now an electrician, with the help of a shop manual and a lot of head scratching. Reassembly is going ok I'm getting kinda excited now.
Attachments
painted assembly 1.jpg
painted assembly 1.jpg (91.07 KiB) Viewed 4028 times

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:27 pm

I took this picture just before my first ride. I needed a shot for collectors insurance anyway. Nice sunny day, couldn't have been better! I really had doubts, I never actually thought it would get done. I changed direction a million times along the way, but I am very happy with the way it turned out. Hummed and haw'd forever about what color to go with, but I'm glad I decided on this vintage two tone scheme. Thought about black because I never thought I could paint, let alone a two tone. Anyone who has ever wanted a bike but has continually talked themselves out of it, here is an example of what you can do if you put your mind to it.
Attachments
ins right fixed.jpg
ins right fixed.jpg (126.11 KiB) Viewed 4027 times

VT

Post by VT » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:20 pm

8) Nice project completed. It's a scary deal, building your own; but more of a "vision quest"....with the motor re-build being the most important part. If you can't build a motor yourself, make sure you hire someone who can and they can stand behind it. There's no feeling like riding on something you built yourself. Thanks for the expert photo-journalism.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:55 pm

hello,
very nice job,.......you gota love that new bike smell! :D
mbskeam

VT

Post by VT » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:17 am

8) Oh yeah..most definitely. Breathe deep from the mixture of heated paint, wire loom asphalt, metal, gasket material, 3-Bond, Marvel Mystery-ized fuel, H-D? oil, and cosmoline...nostalgic Geritol? for the soul.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:34 am

Thanks a ton for your comments. To answer a few, it took seven years. I'm not proud of that, I mean, I could have done it quicker, but having a wife and three little kids along the way slowed things down. Like seven years of panhead university, christ I learned alot. I will say though that if you refuse to give up, and if you want something bad enough, you will find a way. I can honestly say that I know what you mean about the smell!!!!! I LOVE IT. Now I want to do it again. You may think I'm nuts, but if someone offered me a fair price, I would sell in a flash just to do another one. This time with a bank roll it would be much faster. Dreams, dreams....

VT

Post by VT » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:18 am

The machine turned out nice. You can see the work it took to fit all the parts together. It's like some kind of "vision quest" accomplished. Doesn't matter that it took 7 yrs. - you built it yourself. All of the literature you read written about wrenching, has somewhere woven through it, the theme of everything being the "journey" that makes it worthwhile. You're able to "live-your-creed" 24/7. Teaches you all kinds of mechanical discipline, which lends to teaching you alot about life and people. That's why the machines have such a visual impact on the public. Just grabs them by the shoulders. You don't see many Pans or Knuckles around. Seeing like, two them on the road together would be like something arriving from another planet. Every year that goes by, the greater the visual impact they have. Long live the Panhead.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:34 pm

A very nice job Panfreak. You are not alone, as my restoration took five years. Wife, kids, house move etc., but the main reason it took so long was that every time the sun was shining, I was out riding on another bike. That's the whole point after all. Thing is, though, I couldn't wait to get back in the garage and work on the Harley. It is a huge amount of work, but you just become immersed in a world of your own and every little detail that you finish increases the satisfaction. Nothing beats the feeling when you first fire the motor up, and heading out on the road the first time is just beyond words. When you park up at a gas station and a guy comes over and asks all the usual questions and you can reply " I built it myself", you feel a sense of pride that will never be experienced by the type of guys who buy their $100,000 bikes from places like O.C.C.

Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by Red55FL » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:47 am

Panfreak
That is a beautiful bike, you did a great job!

Red

chucktx

Post by chucktx » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:28 am

now that is something to be proud of!!!! a really great job......i am doing the same on a 65flh......and im taking pics as i progress also......man i love these pans.....loved this one for over 20 years!!!! lol
chucktx

Return to “Projects”