'50 FL project

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds.
Sarre
Bikes: 1950 HD FL

'50 FL project

Post by Sarre » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Got my hands on a 1950 FL, shipped it from the States and now its in my garage.. It survived Irma so it probably will also survive my monkey skills, but I am probably going to be needing your help at some parts so I started this tread. Biggest thing is, I got no clue what her history is; she's a black box. Its clear to me that I've got some work to do, going to list it all here and if possible I'll be posting pics. But first I need to identify what parts I have. ;-).

Let me introduce you all to the new lady in the shed:

Things I do know (I will edit this list along the way):
- Good compression (90PSI/each cylinder).
- Spark
- S&S super E carb that I've already cleaned up and I installed a proper air cleaner cover with K&N filter.

Good news; she runs now, which of course lead to a to do list. However, I'll be posting some specific questions first regarding identification of parts. More to come!

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: '50 FL project

Post by RUBONE » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:35 pm

Sarre,
The rear fender is off of a lightweight, a Hummer,165,Super 10, etc. Is the fork offset stem or inline? Frame is close to the engine with that small top motor mount visible.
Robbie

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:27 am

Congratulations! That looks to be a good start, maybe put together by an experienced builder with a stripped down look in mind. You say it's running, good!, how bout driving? Is it roadworthy? With good title/ registration? When you get there, so you can take it for a ride, start making notes of what you like and what you don't. That will give you ideas and a direction to move towards.

Patience is the key anymore. Original parts prices have gotten so high that rushing to aquire what you "Want" can really waste money. Keeping them running right with what you "Need" is where we may be able to help.

Good luck and welcome.

Andygears

Sarre

Post by Sarre » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi Robbie, thanks! I'll post better pics when I've dismantled the parts. Some of it seems original, other things are definitely aftermarket.

Its definitely not roadworthy Andy, see below. I got the papers and they are correct for the engine number on the left side (50FL15XX). I agree with you on the parts and the huge wishlist and then the $$, first things first; to make a good and solid ride, this is my first HD and I want it to be my last.

A little more info;

The cylinder heads are from 1948. The cylinder covers are chrome (aftermarket I guess, original is stainless steel which are made of from a non-magnetic alloy right?). I suspect a manifold leak; saw some flashes at the front cylinder when I fired her up.

The springer is an inline type and seems to be bent; see images below and I've made measurements (sorry but they are in metric system).

Top plate a few degrees counter clockwise, there is a difference in 'depth' of the rear forklegs in the top plate (right side is mounted higher than left)

Right legs, front leg runs slightly in an arc.

Left legs

Measurements taken between front and rear forkleg:

What should I look for when I take it apart? Damaged bushings?

Further, the front brake was set way too tight, there was a lot of friction, but when I adjusted it to get a free running wheel, it stopped doing its job.. Common thing I suppose for these old drum brakes?

The rear wheel is not aligned correctly, rear hub is rusted, rear rim as well; need to replace those parts in order to get a title on it. It has a Borrani 21" front rim, I've already got an accompanying Borrani rear rim 16".

Lastly, the kickstart lever is loose, I can pull it from the transmission; the threads are damaged and maybe the bolt is swimming in the case > I'm gonna tackle this with first priority.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold
1940 U
1937 EL

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:54 pm

Sarre,
that is one good looking lady, good score. Money and time will get her where you want her to be..........

Doc37W
Bikes: '37 W,'41 ULH,'59 FLH Handshift,'69 Fl Handshift w/sidecar,

Post by Doc37W » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:58 am

Buy the reproduction service manual & parts book for your bike. You can find them for sale online. These will save you a lot of TIME and MONEY when repairing and adjusting your bike. The parts book has exploded views of how the parts are assembled to form the various items (engine, transmission, wheels, etc.) that make up the running bike. I have bought more disassembled bikes/projects from people lately (that just start taking things apart and have no idea how they go back together) then I care to say! Doc

Sarre

Post by Sarre » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:16 pm

Hey Doc, I got the Palmer guide, clymer manual, and the reprint service manual is on its way.

Guys, no thoughts on that springer?

I drained the trans fluid, it was milky and smelly.. Removed the kickstart cover and found the nut & winged washer. Apparently the wings of the washer were not bent around the nut and the nut was probably bolted down by hand and not with a torque wrench plus probably without locktite. There is some damage within the case, see images, but I don't think it will be an issue when I reassemble it > see images. Also found a loose clip in the kickstart case (possibly from the clutch lever?) and there was a small part from a clip on the transmission magnetic drain nut.

Parts-wise; wondering what this tail light is from;

The transmission doesn't seem to be original with these ribs:

And neither does the oilpump:

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
76 FLH Original Paint
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:40 pm

I think that transmission case is made by CAL products. (Not sure if I got that right) but I have one also. It's aftermarket and the ribs were suppose to make the case stronger.

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:19 am

That oil pump is correct for an early '50.
The Springer rear leg is 45, the whole front end may by be off of a Servi-Car or a WLC, and the lower outer springs are collapsing, the rocker angle is wrong.
The taillight is stock mid '50s lightweight, matches the fender.

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:15 am

If you end up replacing the throwout bearing, resist the temptation to buy an aftermarket one. They are all pure crap!!
You can find good used OEM throwout bearings regularly on eBay in the $25 - $45 range.

Here's one now:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1948-HARLEY-FL-R ... SwySlaIwxj

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:34 am

The throwout bearing look like it was misaligned with the fork. It also has the wrong pushrod in the gearbox.

Pete808
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 47 EL
47 UL
63 FLH
76 FX??
76 CB550 SUPERSPORT
97 FXSTC
98 XL1200 chop
2002 FLSTC
random 2012 Ducati

Post by Pete808 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:46 pm

I have not seen a lightweight rear fender on a bigtwin before, I think it looks great. Good looking bike, good luck with the project. If you end up not using that rear fender and taillight let me know I would buy it.

Sarre

Post by Sarre » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:27 pm

You might be right PanPal; it was my thought as well however can't find any info on old stock of Cal.

Thanx Rubone for the excellent info; i'll dismantle the springer and also check the holes in the rockers and lower legs for wear.

I agree with you both Bigincher & Rubone, with regard to the damage in the case, also the kickstartsprocket damaged the 2 lower flathead screws and a slight pinch just above it in the rear plate; I found metal particles in the oil. It can be a pain to get these screws loose in this state I guess, but I don't think I need to unscrew them :?.

The clutch finger/lever is undamaged. The damage to the bearing doesn't worry me, it spins freely and smooth. Should the pushrod be longer to keep the finger/lever aligned? What length should the stock pushrod be? Just a thought, but perhaps this pushrod fits this aftermarket case?

I like the lightweight fender to, it will stay on I guess, but the taillight will be replaced with a (hopefully) OEM tombstone. Would be willing to trade for one @ Pete.

The taillight and fender are indeed from a Hummer late '50's

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
76 FLH Original Paint
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:57 pm

A quick google search came up with this, and their site.

More info on the C8

C8 is our replacement transmission case for 1939 to 1964 with tin primary. This trans. is built like a supercharger with reinforcing ribs and shot peened 356 T-6 aluminum, plus it has another 2 pounds of metal crammed into almost the same space. There is a chain adjusting boss and the track lugs on the bottom keep the trans. straight with the engine. This trans. case does not have the out board bearing of it's later brothers. We did not cut them off, we made the castings without them from the start. Our bores are 100% inspected with special gauges for size and alignment. The machining is done with the latest technology. If you want electric start, then see our C11.

Additional questions regarding this product should be E-mailed to
info1@cal-products.com

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:51 am

That Hummer taillight is ten times cooler than any commonplace tombstone. Changing it will be on the mistake list...

Return to “Projects”