Progress update on my '54

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds.
LittleAl
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Progress update on my '54

Post by LittleAl »

Well guys, I thought it about time to update my progress along with a few pictures.

I'm running out of money and I'm way over budget. this is not news, lol. I've been working steadily at getting her up and running for may, 15th (yes, THIS year) and actually even with some bumps along the way it's actually coming along fine, so far anyway!

Some things (like the rear fender) I've mocked up time & time again because I'm just too stupid to take all things into account on the first 10,000 tries, but it's ok, a learning experience is what I call it. Of course I can now put the rear fender on in my sleep.

Got a 12 amp, 12 volt battery as suggested in the KB here from like, 2005, and it seems like it's gonna work out fine. I had a LOT of fun (short for frustration) lacing & truing the rear wheel and still have the front to do. I'm saving that for a day when i think i can actually get through it without going postal.

wound up with Champion deluxe tires from Coker, like the look of them, price was ok I guess, we'll see how they handle & wear in time.

Fitted up the exhaust and after a few false starts I think I got it set up pretty good. The lever on the crossover is damn close to the squish, but other then that, it's looking good. got the floorboards on so I could get the rocker clutch adjusted properly and struggled a bit with setting up the clutch, steel plates, 1/2 plates, friction plates, throwout bearings, but in the end, new frictions and steels (both are still current HD part numbers btw, as are the floorboards) and the old style throwout bearing and it seems good to go.

I even got the tool box on, front crash bars, trumpet horn, etc. The cam chest is all buttoned up and valves with solid lifters (hopefully) adjusted right. Generator shimmed in, although I'm waiting on the motor mount bolt/nut for under the generator to replace my standard hardware one. Got an old aftermarket relay bracket to mount the Bosh relay onto the top of the generator. Oil tank is in along with all the tubes, I had to make some "minor" alterations to make those aftermarket oil lines fit, but it came out ok I guess.

I'm waiting on the buddy seat to be sent back by Wayne at Heather's Leathers (what a great guy!) and I should have that this week or next at the latest. all in all, except for the paint and getting the tins back on I guess I only have about 20-30 hours work left. I have yet to decide on colors and I have samples coming from Antique Cycle, Daytona Ivory, Pepper Red, Glacier Blue and Forest Green. I have some time on that decision because I don't have the money for, nor a painter, yet. Everything else yet to do is pretty much minor, excepting of course, hoping she'll actually start and run, lol

Well anyway, here are some pictures to enjoy, criticize, ridicule, wow over, comment on or whatever. all feedback welcomed and encouraged! and thanks to ALL here that have listened, encouraged and helped me through where I am so far.

Pictures are in no apparent order, I'm way too lazy for that!
IMG_2347.jpg
IMG_2347.jpg (120.55 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
IMG_2354.jpg
IMG_2354.jpg (121.09 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
IMG_2362.jpg
IMG_2362.jpg (120.67 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
IMG_2333.jpg
IMG_2333.jpg (113.82 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
IMG_2343.jpg
IMG_2343.jpg (116.24 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
IMG_2321.jpg
IMG_2321.jpg (92.17 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
grandson helping Pop-Pop
IMG_2233.jpg
IMG_2233.jpg (111.72 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
IMG_2242.jpg
IMG_2242.jpg (93.26 KiB) Viewed 1603 times

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: Progress update on my '54

Post by Hauula Pan »

Always great to see pictures of a project coming together. I have a couple of questions I hope you'll answer. I notice you have what looks like an S&S super E carb. Have you connected up a throttle cable yet? I'm asking because I also have that carb on my 52 and had to disasemble my spiral and machine my own reverse spiral to make the cable pull instead of push, but I havent tried connecting the solid wire yet and don't know if I'll have enough travel or if the solid wire will bind. What year handlebars and throttle spiral are you using? I think we all end up running over budget before we're done, but what the heck, its worth it!

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Al
Did you ever look at that alternate '54 paint scheme? Not just the different color fenders.
Robbie

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

Hauula,

yeah I have a Super E. I heard about guys making up a lever or pivot assembly to turn the push into a pull but it was way easier to buy a reverse spiral from J&P, $53 and it works beautifully. I tried to use the solid wire and man, it just don't work. I used the original outer cable and ran a standard inner cable inside it. It needs the flexibility of the stranded cable, the solid wire is just way too stiff to work on the "cam" on the carb side. I actually found a really nice cable from a guy that sells them new on eBay for $22. It comes with the inner & outer and a short adjuster piece. I used the original outer but cut it under the tank so I could use the short (about 3") adjuster piece into the carb. it worked out perfectly. Throttle works smooth and returns real nice just from the spring on the "E". if you want, here's the eBay link to the one I bought. You can contact him, he sells them all the time

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

Robbie,

yeah I did, but I would up choosing to go with the Daytona Ivory Tanks and Glacier Blue for the fenders. Actually just dropped off everything at the painter yesterday. I should have it all ack in about 2 weeks so I'm about 3 weeks from riding her with any luck at all!

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

here's a picture of the short adjuster piece and how it lays out with the original cable up to the spiral and the adjuster I used from the eBay cable, along with the ebay inner cable
IMG_2305.jpg
IMG_2305.jpg (98.65 KiB) Viewed 1603 times

Tejaspan
Bikes: 1948 E model

Post by Tejaspan »

Al, good looking project. I'm impressed at the work you've done in the size of garage you got. LOL
Looks like you went with S&S enrichment lever. Does it stick out much past the ac? I just put a super e on my 48. I'm running 55-60 ac. Used the chrome knob from J&P.

Thumbs up on the bike.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Al ,Looks good, I did the same thing on my carb(CV), Have you got that thing in the kitchen? My OL would wait for me to fall asleep and cut my ###s off! You da Man!...Mike

Return to “Projects”