59 Pan project from the beginin!!

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds.
b67cuda
Bikes: 1959 Duoglide

59 Pan project from the beginin!!

Post by b67cuda » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:05 pm

Hello all - I am a branewby to this Forum - Ive restored some cars in the past but this is my first HD project. I found this Forum and can certainly use some help from a group like this - I hope I dont drive anyone crazy with questions but I am greatful there is a place to go ask em!! Well here is what I am starting with - my basket case without a basket He He!!!!!! :mrgreen:
pan in truck 1.jpg
pan in truck 1.jpg (189.57 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
I have gone thru and cleand up what I got. The plan is to put her back to a Duoglide - she had been a chopper in the 70s then built up as a 52 replica in the 80s with a hardtail. Ive known of this bike for about 15 years and the fella tha owned it had wrecked it about 8 yrs ago - took it all apart - then walked away. To make a crazy long story shorter - shes now mine - she will never be a 100% resto - I am gonna do the best with what I got - my plan is build her as dependable as I can - this will not be a purist build (did that crap with my Barracuda n it took 15 years) I dont care what its worth when done cause I will be the last 2 own it so the only one it needs 2 satisfy is me!!
pan in truck 2.jpg
pan in truck 2.jpg (169.09 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
So my main question 2 start with is what do you guys think the best mods are for dependability?? electrical? oil? Whatever - any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!

Bill

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: 59 Pan project from the beginin!!

Post by FlatHeadSix » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:38 pm

b67cuda wrote:I hope I dont drive anyone crazy with questions

what do you guys think the best mods are for dependability?? electrical? oil? Whatever - any help or advice is greatly appreciated!! Bill
Too late for that Bill, most of us are already crazy!, welcome to the forum.

As far as mods go, they were dependable when they were new, they really don't need too many mods. Get a good shop manual and build it back the way it was when it came from the factory. Sheet metal, paint, accessories, etc. are entirely your option but mechanically it will be very reliable if you build it by the book.

mike

doug_heisel
Bikes: 1952 FL, 2015 Road king

Post by doug_heisel » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:02 pm

b67cuda wrote:So my main question 2 start with is what do you guys think the best mods are for dependability?? electrical? oil? Whatever - any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!
Bill
welcome
There are some very knowledgeable people here and they can help you with your project at every possible turn. One suggestion I can think of is if you're using the original carb pull the float out and see how far you can toss it. Cotten has floats that will stand up to todays fuel alot better than the original. Invest in a few books and manuals. The service manual is a good buy as is How To Restore Your Harley Davidson by Bruce Palmer, I also bought the clymers panhead manual. with these most of the problems should work them selves out. and please post lots of pics.
I dont see the frame or the engine :(
Doug

b67cuda

Post by b67cuda » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks Doug I will look into the float thing if I ever get the carb from the guy I got the bike from - That and the frame, pushrods n covers and misc crap are supposed to be at one of his buddies house - I consider getting those parts as a bonus if it happens I mainly wanted rescue what I could before he changed his mind if you know what I mean - Its not the original frame and it has been hacked at alot - I bought a Duoglide frame n swaybar on epay and a frontend (original was spanked in wreck). The motor and heads were in that pile of parts and are in pretty decient shape and the all important tiltle matches. Thanks for the reply Ill keep the photos comin!!

Bill

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:10 am

Bill,
Motorcycles don't have swaybars :P

Good luck with your project!
Robbie

Brrrap
Bikes: 1959FLH, 1979FLH, 2016FLHTP

Post by Brrrap » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:59 am

My 59 Pan occasionally sways to bars!

b67cuda

Post by b67cuda » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:55 pm

RUBONE wrote:Bill,
Motorcycles don't have swaybars
Right u are Robbie - I bought a swingarm !!!! :mrgreen:

Bill

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:24 am

Good for you! Now get over and get the rest of those parts before they disappear!! :wink:
Robbie

Sir_Rat
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Is the motor marked as a '59? The tank emblems are ok for a '59. The Petcock for the fuel should be on top of the tank right next to gas cap on the left tank (if its original). Get the frame regardless of condition. That bike came with a linkert carb that had a brass float ring. I didnt know they had problems with todays gas. But this wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. There is or used to be some guy name Mike ???? who sold re-manufactured linkerts. I bought one of his carbs for my 59. It was one of the few parts on the bike that never gave me any trouble. I would by it again in a heart beat. Get a big stick and go back to the guy you got it from, make him take you around to all the places your parts are at take everything you can. Then send it all to me and I give you a pic of what it looks like when I'm done. :lol: Ok just kidding. Send it to me after you finish it. :lol: Ok send picture alright??
Aloha
Mike

Return to “Projects”