Saddlebags for my '61 Pan are ON THE BIKE... new pix added

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds.
TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

Saddlebags for my '61 Pan are ON THE BIKE... new pix added

Post by TimmyV »

Been wanting to add saddlebags to my '61 Pan, just couldn't decide on a style ( leather vs bubble bags vs fiberglass ). Finally decided on some Carroll USA made heavy duty leather studded, bolt on bags that measure 20"W x 12"H x 6"D . They should arrive via the big brown truck in a couple days !
http://motorcycle-luggage.com/Merchant2 ... t_Count=22

In the meantime I figured I better get busy on making some saddlebag brackets to bolt them on with as I'm not worried about making them detachable. 10 gauge ( 1/8" thick) stainless steel seemed like a natural choice & luckily for me I have access to materials & equipment at my place of work to make it all possible. This was my mission for Friday, in between jobs of course.lol. Laid out all the holes & even remembered to add an extra set of holes on the saddlebag side of bracket that would allow me to install & tighten the 5/16" s/s allen bolts that will attach the bracket & fender strut to fender. Next I broke the plates. Added some gussets along the sides of the bracket for strength & tig welded it all together. Then I lightly roughed up the surface in hopes that this will help the paint to adhere well.

Once home I bolted the brackets on to make certain my measurements from the day before had been accurate. I measured several times so I felt pretty confident that they would fit, but sh*t happens so you never know. I designed the brackets to set the saddlebags out 1 1/4" to provide plenty of clearance for the brake caliper & axle, etc.
Decided to use a textured black finish thinking that this will look good next to the leather bags, more so than a gloss finish I think. All that's left is to spray a few more coats of paint today & wait for that big brown truck to arrive Tuesday.
Last edited by TimmyV on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Saddlebags for my '61 Pan

Post by Bigincher »

Looks like you're running banana disk brakes. How's the clearance to the caliper? I notice on my swingarm shovel that the axle nut always like to rub a hole in the bottom of the bag, too. The stand-off brackets available on the aftermarket angle out a bit to avoid those issues. I'm just saying.......

TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Re: Saddlebags for my '61 Pan

Post by TimmyV »

Hard to tell from the pix I posted, but these brackets angle out slightly as well. Have 1/4" horizontal clearance at the caliper / brake line & 5" vertical clearance on the axle nut so I think they will work well. I'll post pix once the bags are mounted.

TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Re: Saddlebags for my '61 Pan are ON THE BIKE... new pix added

Post by TimmyV »

First off let me say that I'm very impressed with these saddlebags. Fit & finish appear to be top-notch in my book, leather is heavy duty as advertised ( approx. 10 ounce ). I also like that they have quick-release latches hidden behind the traditional buckles. Made in the USA too. Here's a few shots of them mounted on the bike. Don't pay any attention to the fact that my bike doesn't have any gas tanks on it right now. I pick them up from the painter tomorrow. But that's a whole 'nother story & I don't want to get sidetracked.

Here's a couple more...

I ended up with 1/4" or better of clearance on the caliper side. No problems there.

The axle side is cutting it close, just as you said it would, Bigincher. A bit more of an angle on my brackets & I would've missed everything completely. Luckily there is 3/4" of axle protruding from the axle nut. I think I'll shorten the axle up by 5/8" & that should take care of any possible clearance issues there.

She's a work in progress...one thing at a time. At least now I can now check saddlebags off the list. Just gotta shorten that axle a bit.

Return to “Projects”