45 motor, Ariel frame

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds.
45brit

45 motor, Ariel frame

Post by 45brit » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:14 pm

some one of these days I'll finish this bike..

sunnydog1
Bikes: 1981 FLH
1949 WLR UBuild

Re: 45 motor, Ariel frame

Post by sunnydog1 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:20 pm

Holy s#%t now that's some cool fab work...I love it. A very unique bike. What you running for a trans and carb?

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:42 am

Now THAT'S a 45brit! Very cool...Mike

45brit

Post by 45brit » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:07 am

fab work is really very simple.

bike consists of a stock Ariel rigid frame, chosen because the engine more-or-less fits in with no modification - and the 'gap' in the front down tube ( originally intended to accomodate the front crank on the Square 4 engine ) leaves room for the generator.

There have been two frames ( Ariel frames were fabricated in batches, and details like the front downtube tend to differ over time ) and the front engine plates are the third set, the 'ears' at the front were intended as footboard mounts but haven't worked out - the footboards have been moved to provide various clearances as assembly has progressed - so we will trim them back later.

footboard mounts are various NOS and 45 Depot stuff including a Servicar left siderail and pedal. Front crossbolt is the original H-D type, so we can use the H-D kickstand.

present transmission is a BSA A10 box. The original idea was to use a BSA M20 unit, but we found that the A10 box could be rebored through the bottom lug and mount onto the original mounting point, so we used that. Gearchange will be by a short rod from the HD brake pedal, to a crank ( cut-down gear pedal ) on the original splined shaft. The clutch is a Tony Hayward unit from a vintage road racer, the front pulley was a problem because the belt types didn't match between the Hayward unit and the 45 Depot conversion. Current pulley is a composite one using the original Hayward rim milled out and pressed over a milled-down 45 Depot centre...

forks are a mismatched set of BSA and Ariel parts, some selective assembly required there using BSA legs and front wheel to get everything to line up. Rea wheel is BSA, from a swing-arm A10. Biggest single problem is the actuating arm which will need a new spring ( reverse coil ) to make it work with the arm sticking up, which is required for various clearances. Brake actuation will be by a single long rod from the ex-Servicar pedal to the arm, over the transmission, very 70s!

oil tank is a British unit of unknown origin, found in my shed. 80s Paughco single-cap Mustang tank came from, well, I don't really remember! Seat is 45 Depot replica WR unit, mounted on a cut-down replica T-bar and some rather iffy springs which will need changing at some point.

there are various carbs about but I will probably use an Amal Concentric, because I have one and I know they work. Present bars are repop XR750 ones, they are a nice shape but I think I will end up using 7/8" ones and repop Amal controls to make the control cables easy. I'm tempted to use an Amal advance lever with a piano wire inner for the timer control, or I may use a second twistgrip, I don't know.... I have one of those two-lever choke-and-advance units somewhere about....

exhaust, good question.

45brit

Post by 45brit » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 pm

latest

windweaver
Bikes: 49 HD

Post by windweaver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:14 pm

looks good. keep at it. thanks for the pics. WW

Return to “Projects”