“Modern” replica frames and quality

Knucklehead topics
knucklewarren
Bikes: 40EL 42WLA 46WL 47G 47EL 49FL

“Modern” replica frames and quality

Post by knucklewarren » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:55 pm

I have been doing some site searching and read many posts about replica frames. Many of these postings are more than ten years old and some are as recent as 5 years ago. It seems there are many more replica frames on the market today than there were even just a couple years ago. I am looking for any input where people have seen these more recent ones that have hit the market. Have they improved in the last 10 years? Are most of hen being made by V-twin? I understand there are ones coming from Australia that seem to be top notch, any ones that are still horrendous? How accurate are the “modern” replicas? Do they contain original hallmarks?
I understand nothing beats a genuine original frame for authenticity, however with the price of some of these original frames pushing 7,000 , 8,000 or even more $$ usd it seems a reasonable question to consider ones options.
In particular, I am looking for a few frames. For a 1940 El, 1947 Fl, and a 1946 Wl
I greatly appreciate people’s input.
Thank you.

1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: “Modern” replica frames and quality

Post by 1950Panhead » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:03 pm

Have they improved in the last 10 years?
No
Are most of hen being made by V-twin?
Yes
I understand there are ones coming from Australia that seem to be top notch
Steve sold raceframe to Lou in Japan.
Steve made seven types of frames, Lou has a smaller selection.
http://raceframeengineering.com/
How accurate are the “modern” replicas? Do they contain original hallmarks?
Some vtwin frames have defects and need work, they do not have hallmarks.
Steve and Lou frames have hallmarks better build quality.
A German is making frames with hallmarks.
I understand nothing beats a genuine original frame for authenticity,
Original frames are best because they are original, build quality was high however, that is why price is high.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:10 pm

Well, i have bought 4 wishbone frames, 3 straight leg frames from VTwin for various applications over the years. All of them need attention, all of them. First off the rear axle plates are thicker, the actually neck is longer, all of the cross over bushings need honing, in one case, realignment. Going in we knew we'd be doing some work, so for those applications they worked. The gentleman mentioned the German frames, a buddy i know up north, took the hit and bought one off eBay, he is completely, overwhelmingly satisfied. There is some stud muffins popping frames out from time to time in the New England area, VCP, might want to check them, see if they got rolling again. All in all, if I had to have a frame repoped, I'd op out for the Germans, Good luck.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Buddhahoodvatoloco wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:10 pm
Well, i have bought 4 wishbone frames, 3 straight leg frames from VTwin for various applications over the years. All of them need attention, all of them. First off the rear axle plates are thicker, the actually neck is longer, all of the cross over bushings need honing, in one case, realignment. Going in we knew we'd be doing some work, so for those applications they worked. The gentleman mentioned the German frames, a buddy i know up north, took the hit and bought one off eBay, he is completely, overwhelmingly satisfied. There is some stud muffins popping frames out from time to time in the New England area, VCP, might want to check them, see if they got rolling again. All in all, if I had to have a frame repoped, I'd op out for the Germans, Good luck.
Tried to attach pics, but it's not happening.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:30 pm

Original frames are best because they are original, build quality was high however, that is why price is high.
hArley, quality control :lol:

Return to “Knucklehead”