Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

'39 Pinion Shaft Seal Ring and Spring Spacer?

Knucklehead topics
michigander52
Bikes: Knucklehead

'39 Pinion Shaft Seal Ring and Spring Spacer?

Post by michigander52 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Need some help identifying an odd part that came off of the pinion shaft during disassembly. I have a '39 EL I'm slowly redoing in my spare time. When I took the gear case apart I kept all of the parts together with zip-ties or baggies in the order that I removed them so I could verify everything with the service manual but I can't verify this one part that was on the pinion shaft seal ring. It's like a band that was slid on to the collar of the pinion shaft seal. The spacer ring that's with the spring checks out with the manual but there is no reference to this other part. I attached a picture of the part in the order which they were removed. I have since put the gear chest and cover back together thinking I didn't need the part but now I'm worried I should have put it back on? Steve
Pinion shaft b (464x619).jpg
Pinion shaft b (464x619).jpg (139.29 KiB) Viewed 92 times

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: '39 Pinion Shaft Seal Ring and Spring Spacer?

Post by RUBONE » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Don't worry, it didn't belong there. It looks like someone put the spacer sleeve on there and the next guy replaced the spacer they thought was missing.

michigander52
Bikes: Knucklehead

Re: '39 Pinion Shaft Seal Ring and Spring Spacer?

Post by michigander52 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:33 pm

RUBONE wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:57 pm
Don't worry, it didn't belong there. It looks like someone put the spacer sleeve on there and the next guy replaced the spacer they thought was missing.
Thank You very much for the confirmation!! I kind of thought it was something like that but really had no idea.

Return to “Knucklehead”