Would you run this oil pump?

Knucklehead topics
kngkong
Bikes: '41 WL
'37 E

Would you run this oil pump?

Post by kngkong » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:32 am

Took off my oil pump to see I could improve static sumping issues. The pump seemed to be working well as far as I know (meaning my oil pump switch always showed pressure and I saw flow in the tank) but now that I see the condition of the inside am considering replacing. What do you think?

I am unclear how critical the condition of the driveshaft hole and that one damaged tooth is to pump function. DIdn't really want to spend the money on a new pump body unless I have to.

Also curious if an upgrade is suggested.

Thanks!

Does that look like a key was hammered into the body and then filled with JB Weld?

Is that ring around where the drive shaft goes through all wear? I don't see that counterbore in new pumps.

Damage to tooth.

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold

Re: Would you run this oil pump?

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:12 pm

"I", and only "I" would just clean up the burr on the gear, clean the pump body real good, don't look like their is any excessive wear, so in regards to the driveshaft hole "I" would run the shaft in and see that there is play, well no bind.
Again "I" would run the body, run much worse. You asked will these attention grabbers impede the functionality of the pump, Hombre these are tractors, that written, I doubt any impediment would occur.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:20 pm

That is a '39-'40 pump, what are you working on? The filled in keyhole should not be an issue. The cavity is a bit more concern as any space around the gears can cause a loss of pumping volume. It could be cleaned up and an appropriate sized lip seal installed which would be a benefit.

kngkong
'37 E

Post by kngkong » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:38 pm

Thanks RUBONE!

It's on my 37 knuckle. I thought the '36-'40 pumps are all the same?

A seal there makes sense, has anyone documented this anywhere? Seems simple enough to do I know but just wondering.

RUBONE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:20 pm
That is a '39-'40 pump, what are you working on? The filled in keyhole should not be an issue. The cavity is a bit more concern as any space around the gears can cause a loss of pumping volume. It could be cleaned up and an appropriate sized lip seal installed which would be a benefit.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:46 pm

The early pumps do not have a machined flat where the pressure sending unit goes, they have a bit of a raised area that is rough cast. The flat was added after the one year only '38 pump with the pressure sender dead center, not offset, and on a taller boss. All the internals are the same on all of them with the springs being updated during their time of use. The flat was to fit the new pressure sender adapter.

kngkong
'37 E

Post by kngkong » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:57 pm

I see, cool.

Hey RUBONE, when I disassembled this pump there the pressure relief valve screw was set shallower than normal. I can't remember exactly, should have noted it, I think around .278", and there were two balls installed. Does this ring a bell at all? Like I said pump seemed to be working fine but will reassemble to spec I guess.

RUBONE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:46 pm
The early pumps do not have a machined flat where the pressure sending unit goes, they have a bit of a raised area that is rough cast. The flat was added after the one year only '38 pump with the pressure sender dead center, not offset, and on a taller boss. All the internals are the same on all of them with the springs being updated during their time of use. The flat was to fit the new pressure sender adapter.

Return to “Knucklehead”