head cut for 74" pan cylinder

Knucklehead topics
dcmc
Bikes: 46FL,55flh

head cut for 74" pan cylinder

Post by dcmc » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:33 am

I have an otherwise nice 5 fin Knucklehead head, that has been modified to fit a Panhead 74" cylinder, this has left the head with a larger volume since both the diameter and depth have been increased to clear the lip on a pan cylinder. I am wondering if this rear head could be run with a unmolested 5 fin Knuckle head ? The bolt hole is an easy fix. But trying to weld and machine such a large area in the combustion chamber seems like a bad idea.
Anybody have experience running this combination of mismatched heads ?

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: head cut for 74" pan cylinder

Post by 1950Panhead » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:17 pm

I have an otherwise nice 5 fin Knucklehead head, that has been modified to fit a Panhead 74" cylinder, this has left the head with a larger volume since both the diameter and depth have been increased to clear the lip on a pan cylinder
A machine shop could make a ring so both heads have the same volume.
FL cylinders are flat on top, knuckle and pan EL cylinders use the same bore, 3.312".

dcmc
Bikes: 46FL,55flh

Re: head cut for 74" pan cylinder

Post by dcmc » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:42 pm

I was thinking of the possibility of finding a piston ring for a 3 3/4" bore and silver soldering it to the head. But I don't see tying to weld anything in that area since penetration and dissimilar materials would be an issue.

Return to “Knucklehead”