tranny leak

saddlebagrail
Bikes: FLH 67
FLH 82
FL 66

Re: tranny leak

Post by saddlebagrail » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Cotten wrote:Ray!

Ever try to put a fat chain on a 'stock' Panhead?

What lubes your sprockets?

....Cotten
On my friend's 60 Panhead we install just a normal chain with ipone chain lube ,cause no oïl escape from the tranny :D

before
DSC09074.jpg
DSC09073.jpg
DSC09071.jpg
after
DSC06801_zps56490f09.jpg
DSC06800_zpsa6d47099.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:56 pm

Please let me be certain that I understand you, Ray,..

This superlube is so good at running dry that it makes you worry about a drop of sweat out of the main drive gear? And not your sprockets?

If the nut stays tight, there shouldn't be unusual sweat at all.

If it drips, you know the nut is loose.

With proper tools and locktab, and a swab of goober if you are over-cautious,... that's a non-issue.

....Cotten

Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:27 am

Granted I run with a bunch of mutts but I think all of them leak. This string prompted me to go unscrew the lid and check, umm,, looks a little low again? How’s not even an attempt by HD to seal the shaft going to hold oil?

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:35 am

Huck!

Ray's innovation does not address the oil that is naturally expected to pass the maindrive gear bushing itself, but any conceivable weepage between the hardened gear's shoulder and the ground face of the spacer, torqued together at 75 ft-lbs.

This is precisely where I machine the spacer to adjust the assembly's endplay.
MDGSPACD.jpg
....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Huck
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:16 am

Cotton my nut is tight, my transamission leaks oil, I know where it’s leaking from because my chain stays slick. It has allot of miles, runs good, shifts good, & leaks oil. I have no intension of turning a bolt until the squealing commences. I’m thinking had that piece been installed on the last rebuild the current chain lube would be less. As always. just 2 bits.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:46 pm

Huck, Cotton --I have always done it the Stock method!--No goober on the shaft to!/& I rbuilt mine 10yrs back & Its still Kicking ASS!--It does DRIP!,-BUT its so slight that I use more from my chain-oiler!---I think RAYS PART is pretty GOOD!-(as long as its installed just how he said!-(cover with tape & grease the o-ring so it don't tear!).---So far I have heard of nobody exp. any problem with it.--The olny part that I don't like is the groove for the o-ring to sit in!--Its thin enuff there!,But It seems not to matter!--I drip so little that if I add 6oz. over 5-months if its 6ozs. may be less IM Happy with it!--Again I teardown every January & Check the normal Stuff you have to check!--I believe if you ride with Mixer & motor not aligned --Its Trouble & Fast to!--Sprockets gone in a week!--If your doing 50 to 80 miles a day!--& that tourque on the uneven shafts just beats the seal/shaft /bering to hell!--Nothing wrong with trying new things!--(I bet Rays Seal works great!)--Also If your doing your scheduled Preventive Maintenance--It should hold oil just fine!--Every Rigid owner knows his bike & when its chain tighten-up time!/Pulling the rear wheel back & counting the turns works well when Im on the side of the road or under a bridge!--When home I still check with straight-edge!.---Respectfully--Richie

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Huck wrote:Cotton my nut is tight, my transamission leaks oil, I know where it’s leaking from because my chain stays slick. It has allot of miles, runs good, shifts good, & leaks oil. I have no intension of turning a bolt until the squealing commences. I’m thinking had that piece been installed on the last rebuild the current chain lube would be less. As always. just 2 bits.
Huck!

Are you saying your chain should be dry?

If you feel you have a genuine leak, why not drain the box, and fill it with mineral spirits. It should run out if there is a leak, and beware that it may not be out the splines.

And Richie!

Are you running a dry chain?

....Cotten

Huck
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:37 pm

No dry chain here, I de-grit with a rag and add used motor oil regularly to the chain. I do not frown on my puddles I admire. All I know mark their spot, some more than others. The only thing I pondered a bit “not” marking your spot is if it doesn’t leak a little how do you maintain fresh oil to the shaft & bushing? Maybe a non issue as the Gent said he’s run them long term and sold hundreds. I do know folks that get annoyed at puddles & continually try to resolve them. I've learned to park in the grass when visiting. Well,,mostly, unless they're rude...

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Huck!

If you properly oil your chain, isn't it a bit of a witchhunt to suspect leaks?
It is inevitably going to spray, and collect in spots that then telegraph to the floor when parked.

That's great if it collects at the bottom of sprockets, because sprockets are where it is needed.

By design, H-D provided a deflector to send front sprocket oil into the primary, where the clutchbasket sprocket needs it more.
Nearly all of this supply came from the end of the main drive gear slinger.

But in '65, everything got queered with the Indian-style primary...

.....Cotten

58flh

Post by 58flh » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:43 pm

No dry chain here !---I believe if there not WET & Clean looking/-then it aint no good!/I change my chains every 2yrs. anyway--Its about time by then!---Richie

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Richie!

If you run a wet chain, how do you know there is a leak through the MDGear splines?

....Cotten

Huck
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Cotten wrote:Richie!

If you run a wet chain, how do you know there is a leak through the MDGear splines?

....Cotten
Not Richie but,

You roll (the tranny) in flower then look for the wet spot.

58flh

Post by 58flh » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:49 pm

:lol: Good one Huck!--Cotton when I teardown like now--I check & know it dripping!--,not much as Ill add maybe 6oz. in 5 or 6months.I rather have the drip on the sprocket/in accordance to the oiler!./-Also I open the oiler up & run it for a few incase anybody takes-up residence there! & put it back to keep-wet mode.Respectfuly---Richie

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:11 pm

Richie!

With the primary off, it is the perfect time to fill the box with mineral spirits, and take all of the mystery out of it.

Are you running a late MDGseal?

....Cotten

58flh

Post by 58flh » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Cotton--No im not running a later style seal,& I absolutely agree that spirts would flow & can pinpoint it rather fast./But my old 44 mixer is running so dam good/ I olny put clean 60wt. in when I change the oil-like every 3yrs. a complete drain & clean of ratchet-lid/& a good look-see inside.---Richie

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”