Belt Primary

51Hog
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 7:29 pm
Bikes: 1951 Fl
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

#16

Post by 51Hog » Sat May 31, 2008 7:14 am

Looks like BDO has a 39-62 tooth setup. ratio of 1.58
Since the stock sprockets are 23-37, ratio of 1.60
It appears that rpm of the engine will be higher at the same speed.

My ratio is currently 24-37= 1.54 So my rpm is slower than stock.

I think I will give Belt drive a try. Worst I will have to do is take it off.
I am thinking that some of my vibrations are being caused by a tight/loose/tight/loose primary chain.
$230.00 with an extra belt sounds ok.---Depends on what they will charge for shipping.



panjimmy
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:42 am

#17

Post by panjimmy » Sat May 31, 2008 12:52 pm

i've been running a phase 3 belt , have over 50,000 miles on it and only replaced it once. i really like it

Panacea
Posts: 1920
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 1:00 am
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD
Location: Mpls. MN.
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 82 times

#18

Post by Panacea » Sat May 31, 2008 2:20 pm

51, they must have a shell without the ring gear, Mike

1950Bobber

BDL

#19

Post by 1950Bobber » Sat May 31, 2008 2:50 pm

51Hog wrote:Looks like BDO has a 39-62 tooth setup. ratio of 1.58
Since the stock sprockets are 23-37, ratio of 1.60
It appears that rpm of the engine will be higher at the same speed.

My ratio is currently 24-37= 1.54 So my rpm is slower than stock.

I think I will give Belt drive a try. Worst I will have to do is take it off.
I am thinking that some of my vibrations are being caused by a tight/loose/tight/loose primary chain.
$230.00 with an extra belt sounds ok.---Depends on what they will charge for shipping.
Dale,

Yup. That's the unit. And the 1.5 inch wide belt will run IN your primary set up allowing you to run the outer primary cover. It's pretty obvious you will need to stop the inflow of oil to the system with a belt.

$230 shipped WITH AN EXTRA BELT...hell, that's a very inexpensive experiment, wouldn't you say?

I still run a stock primary chain on my '58 only because I have not felt the need to change over yet (I'm not experiencing objectionable vibration coming from my primary drive) and I have 3 HDs (a 50, 58 and 65) so the '50 has the belt and it is so smooth. I'm hoping for you however that any vibration you are experiencing is limited to your primary system. I'd hate to see you pin all your hopes on a vibration free ride on just the primary drive. Not trying to discourage you from going belt drive, I think it is a great move for all the reasons stated, but I think you are savy enough to know there are a number of reasons for excessive vibrations.

I just got back from an extended trip last night on the '50 Bobber...Man, I was cruising along 65 to 75 MPH and just loving the smooth, powerful engine on that rigid and wondering what all the Noob HD riders find so exciting about their $20,000 rides that they would deprive themselves of this experience (all members riding NEW HD, this is NOT meant for you....you obviously have known the thrill of old iron!).

Go for it Dale...I'm anxious to hear back with your critique of Belt vs. Chain!

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

1950Bobber

BNO ring gear...That is correct

#20

Post by 1950Bobber » Sat May 31, 2008 2:54 pm

Panacea wrote:51, they must have a shell without the ring gear, Mike
Dale...Panacea is correct. Make sure you order the Panhead unit, depending on whether you need the tapered or splined engine sprocket shaft.

Jim

VT

#21

Post by VT » Sat May 31, 2008 3:52 pm

Don't waste your time installing a belt primary wrong. If you leave the primary oiler dripping to the back wheel, you'll create a mess. If you want a primary belt drive system, consider calling Kick-Start Parts (616) 245-8991. If you go it alone, you'll spend more time correcting trial and error, imo.
Talking about a belt primary is good, but actually installing one is where the rubber hits the road.

51Hog
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 7:29 pm
Bikes: 1951 Fl
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: BDL

#22

Post by 51Hog » Sat May 31, 2008 4:51 pm

First---Thanks to ALL for their advise and responses. They are ALL appreciated.
1950Bobber wrote:
I'm hoping for you however that any vibration you are experiencing is limited to your primary system. I'd hate to see you pin all your hopes on a vibration free ride on just the primary drive. Not trying to discourage you from going belt drive, I think it is a great move for all the reasons stated, but I think you are savy enough to know there are a number of reasons for excessive vibrations.

Go for it Dale...I'm anxious to hear back with your critique of Belt vs. Chain!

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
Yea, I know the theory on vibrations with the old rigids--Loose engine-cracked frame-improperly shimmed engine installation--"Farting in the dark :-)" Wheels- tires-chains-etc... We will get them one at a time....

I will post the results after I install it and test.
Thanks,
Dale

Guest

#23

Post by Guest » Sat May 31, 2008 4:54 pm

Guys, I never said don’t run a belt anywhere in my post. All I did was try to put fourth the pros and cons that I’ve run into. There were no pros. I for one would never entertain the idea of putting one of those rotating time bombs on my motorcycle ever again. It’s not will it leave you stranded. Just when? The last time I lost a belt I sat there for five an a half hours in 94 degree heat until I finally found a flat bed with tie downs. Seems in New Jersey that tow truck operators think it ok to lay a 40G cycle on its side for the trip home. Go figure? Bob

1950Bobber

Nope!

#24

Post by 1950Bobber » Sat May 31, 2008 9:37 pm

VT wrote:Don't waste your time installing a belt primary wrong. If you leave the primary oiler dripping to the back wheel, you'll create a mess. If you want a primary belt drive system, consider calling Kick-Start Parts (616) 245-8991. If you go it alone, you'll spend more time correcting trial and error, imo.
Talking about a belt primary is good, but actually installing one is where the rubber hits the road.
It doesn't take a genius to do this job...or the other guy would in fact be one!

Dale,

Go it alone, that way if you need to service it, you've been there already and know what to do!

51Hog
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 7:29 pm
Bikes: 1951 Fl
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

#25

Post by 51Hog » Sat May 31, 2008 10:12 pm

Play nice boys----
There is a LOT of room for misunderstandings through the keyboard---- :)
Again, thanks to all for their input.
I do plan on installing the kit myself. I think that since I personally completely went through every component on the bike including engine, tranny and speedometer, respoked the wheels etc... , I should be able to handle the belt drive. I always do quite a bit of research before I tackle a chore. That is not to say that I don't screw up sometimes. Just rarely. LOL
;-)

VT

#26

Post by VT » Sat May 31, 2008 10:23 pm

What's YOUR cut ?
No cut. 8) If you register with this site, then you won't feel like an outsider.
The idea of buying parts from Kick-Start is that they don't have many employees. Those that are employees of Kick-Start all own Panheads or can tear them apart and put them back together blind-folded, that's a Kick-Start requirement. Plus, anything they tell you can be printed here on this site. We know Kick-Start, but we don't know the other shops. Some shops sell Panhead parts, but that doesn't mean they are "of Panhead". There is a difference.

Panacea
Posts: 1920
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 1:00 am
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD
Location: Mpls. MN.
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 82 times

#27

Post by Panacea » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:35 am

51, I just modified the breather tube by sawing off the elbo where it entered the inner primary, rotated it to the rear and hooked up a length of 1/2" hose to vent it out the rear. I also found out how to fix the chirp from the new belt. After re-adjusting several times thinking the belt was rubbing on the back of the clutch shell I finally took it off and flipped it over....chirp gone...sometimes the harley gods will test our patience....Mike

51Hog
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 7:29 pm
Bikes: 1951 Fl
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

#28

Post by 51Hog » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:47 am

Thanks for the tip Mike. Glad you got the bird out of the primary...

51Hog
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 7:29 pm
Bikes: 1951 Fl
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

#29

Post by 51Hog » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:25 am

After much thought and number crunching, It looks like the 11mm belt setup won out over the 8mm. The 31-47 tooth count on the 11mm set will be closer to the ratio that I am running now with my 24 tooth primary sprocket. If I need to drop the rear wheel rpm down any, I can go with a smaller tranny drive output sprocket. Right now I have a 24 tooth there.

Currently I am running a
24 tooth engine
37 tooth clutch
24 tooth tranny output
51 tooth rear

8mm would be
39
62
24
51

11mm would be just a little taller than my current setup.
31
47
24
51

Someone straighten me out if I am not thinking correctly.
I am ordering Monday. Only want to do it once.
Thanks

1950bobber

I know a guy....

#30

Post by 1950bobber » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:37 am

51Hog wrote:After much thought and number crunching, It looks like the 11mm belt setup won out over the 8mm. The 31-47 tooth count on the 11mm set will be closer to the ratio that I am running now with my 24 tooth primary sprocket. If I need to drop the rear wheel rpm down any, I can go with a smaller tranny drive output sprocket. Right now I have a 24 tooth there.

Currently I am running a
24 tooth engine
37 tooth clutch
24 tooth tranny output
51 tooth rear

8mm would be
39
62
24
51

11mm would be just a little taller than my current setup.
31
47
24
51

Someone straighten me out if I am not thinking correctly.
I am ordering Monday. Only want to do it once.
Thanks

I believe Jack Hester ( a member here and on the ACI) is someone I remember being very knowledgeable on that score! 11mm, Good choice Dale!

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

Post Reply

Return to “Chains & Belts”