BDL primary belt adjustment

58bob
Bikes: 57 Pan Bobber
2001 Triumph Sprint RS

BDL primary belt adjustment

Post by 58bob »

Been reading with interest the BDL thread, just installed on myself, does anyone know what the amount of up and down play the belt can have?

ozwick86
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Re: BDL primary belt adjustment

Post by ozwick86 »

58Bob,

I have a 8mm on my 59. See attachment.

(1/2" Total) up / down from center line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

58bob
Bikes: 57 Pan Bobber
2001 Triumph Sprint RS

Post by 58bob »

thanks for the reply, i did see that on the BDL site but it says at point 8. For 11mm drives with idler......so i wondered if a non idler version was any different. i take it an idler is like a roller bearing/belt tensioner, and its for an 11mm, mine is a non idler 8mm, currently got it set at about 3/4" total play of the lower belt......too loose?

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Belts are forgiving in respect to up and down free play. If 1/2" is recommended, I wouldn't think 3/4" would cause a disaster in a pinch. Runnin at manufacurer's specs is better....bosheff

ozwick86
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 »

I took my bike for a ride up to the coast to the Russian River. While riding, I looked down at the transmission and noticed that the transmission had a oscillation / wobble to it. Got home from the ride pull the primary cover off and the belt had 2" total play. I ended up tightening all the transmission mounts which were loose and adjusting it to tighten the belt.

To answer your question, yes it will work. I don't know how long it was like this? No damage to belt or pully's.

I also called BDL and the tech told me it was 1/2" as well for 8mm drives.

Return to “Chains & Belts”