Good frame repair companies

vipersniper
Bikes: 1994 Fatboy
1965 Panhead

Good frame repair companies

Post by vipersniper » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:02 am

Does anyone know of a good frame repair company? I am located in ma. and have a wishbone frame that needs repair to the neck as it has been raked and filled as well as the mechanical brake tube shortened so needs welding there as well, any help would sure be appreciated
VS

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Good frame repair companies

Post by Bigincher » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:23 am

Wasco Frame in Tacoma Washington is one of the best. He does those kinds of repairs regularly, and has been doing frame repairs, straightening, and fabrication for decades.
You can call him up to find out how long it would take and how much it would cost. I know it's a long ways from where you live, but he gets frames in from all over the country. Shipping usually runs around $150 each way, either UPS or FedEx.
Give him a call, you can find his website with Google.

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:43 am

bubba
Bikes: 56 panhead
69 shovel
95 evo w/ 4spd
82 shovelhead fxr

Post by bubba » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:13 pm

i had this guy fix my 48 wishbone, did a awesome job back in 2011. that frame was bent in many places. he did a awesome job,cost me 500.00

http://drjohnsmfs.com/

vipersniper
Bikes: 1994 Fatboy
1965 Panhead

Post by vipersniper » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:59 am

thankyou again

VS

socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:49 pm

You lucked out bubba. Dr. John did a sloppy job on a 57 straight leg I took him. The frame was set up for non original tanks so the top rear mounting tabs had to be welded back on to run a set of original 56 3 gallons. The motor mount portion was still on there and even had the date code on it.i was expecting him to just weld on the tank tabs but he cut off the original date coded motor mount tab and installed a hole new mount. He also ground a bit of the fork stops on top of the neck. I'm sure that happened as a result of grinding the welds to the new mount he installed and not being careful about it. I did not specify to him to leave the motor mount and just replace the tank mounts. In hindsight I guess I should have.this guy has been in business for a long time so I assumed he would have known not to touch the original date code on a 57 straight leg. I always have thought that he kept the mount to put it on something else. I know NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING !!! I didn't want the frame anymore so I sold it. I lucked out and found one with all the original tabs and mounts still intact. I would not do business with this guy again nor recommend that anyone use him. If ever I need frame work done I will ship my frame to,WASCO. Never dealt with them but have heard nothing but good about them.
Arnulfo

bubba
Bikes: 56 panhead
69 shovel
95 evo w/ 4spd
82 shovelhead fxr

Post by bubba » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:50 pm

socalrider wrote:You lucked out bubba. Dr. John did a sloppy job on a 57 straight leg I took him. The frame was set up for non original tanks so the top rear mounting tabs had to be welded back on to run a set of original 56 3 gallons. The motor mount portion was still on there and even had the date code on it.i was expecting him to just weld on the tank tabs but he cut off the original date coded motor mount tab and installed a hole new mount. He also ground a bit of the fork stops on top of the neck. I'm sure that happened as a result of grinding the welds to the new mount he installed and not being careful about it. I did not specify to him to leave the motor mount and just replace the tank mounts. In hindsight I guess I should have.this guy has been in business for a long time so I assumed he would have known not to touch the original date code on a 57 straight leg. I always have thought that he kept the mount to put it on something else. I know NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING !!! I didn't want the frame anymore so I sold it. I lucked out and found one with all the original tabs and mounts still intact. I would not do business with this guy again nor recommend that anyone use him. If ever I need frame work done I will ship my frame to,WASCO. Never dealt with them but have heard nothing but good about them.
Arnulfo
sorry to hear that, this was the only time i had any dealings with him, now my 48 is by far not perfect. i just wanted it to be straight, and i checked it when it came back it was straight,it rides good too.

Bigincher
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:29 pm

I work part time with Wasco (although I'm taking the summer off to get caught up around the house), and I spend a lot of time buffing up welds to make them disappear. I actually never use a disk "grinder", Wasco has a nice assortment of special tools and fittings to reach those awkward places, many are his own creations. But the most common tool I use is a 3" disk sander. Sometimes a flap wheel if I need to get aggressive.
My main focus when cleaning welds is to NEVER let the tool make a mark in an unwanted area. I will stop, and figure out a different approach. Sometimes accidents happen, and we'll have to clean up an accidental nick or gouge. I get slapped around a little, but you learn that way.
Wasco is very conscious of date codes and hallmarks. Even his replacement castings have correct hallmarks.
In doing the repair you described (very common repair), it is much easier to cleave off the entire upper portion and replace it. It would take extra work and be a lot more difficult to replace only the gas tank mount portion of that bracket.
Wasco always calls the customer whenever there is a question about those kinds of things.
I love working with him, he is truly a master, and I've learned a lot.
I'll be glad when I get done with my chores (paint house exterior) so I can get back to working on old frames with the Master.

socalrider

Post by socalrider » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:18 pm

Bigincher , i agree with you that its a more difficult job to weld the tank mounts only. But i did say to him to take his time ,i did not want a rush job. If he had done as you say wasco does by calling me, all would have worked out fine. The fork stop would have been spared the butchery also.
Arnulfo

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:12 pm

Arnulfo---Just wondering if you got your 57-OEM mount back??----Richie

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Also Craig Clack in Tennessee.

socalrider

Post by socalrider » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:46 pm

No I did not Richie which leads me to believe he wanted it for himself.
Arnulfo

Bigincher
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:20 pm

socalrider wrote:No I did not Richie which leads me to believe he wanted it for himself.
Somehow, I just don't see how that would be of much interest to him. If he wanted it to deceive, he could just get a set of stamps and stamp it himself. Besides, it would be a huge challenge to replace just that small portion with the date stamp and make it look like it was never molested. I mean, the welds are so close, and very difficult to make disappear in that area.
At Wasco, whenever we hack something off a frame, no matter how useless, it goes in the bottom tray of the cart that the frame is one, and stays with the frame. If the customer wants that stuff back, it goes in a bag and goes back with the frame.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”