PoGo NoGo, Can't get seat post out

panhandler
Bikes: 1963 FL mod

Re: PoGo NoGo, Can't get seat post out

Post by panhandler » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:09 pm

what about lining up a floor jack under it and using the weight of the bike as u slowly jack it.

dltimmons
Bikes: 1965 Electraglide
2011 FLHXXX

Post by dltimmons » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:17 pm

I think I have figured out what is wrong.

I got it up on my lift this morning, where I can finally get a good look under it, and low and behold, there is another nut on the damn rod. It is a great big ole flat nut, only about 3/8" thick, the front of this nut is up under the rear edge of the skid plate under the block, so I am going to have to remove that, before I can get this larger nut off. Couldn't tell it was there before, too much oil and dirt around it to see.

Of coarse, I can't get the skid plate off while the bike is on my lift, just a crank up frame lift, not a table lift, so I have to let the bike down and pull the lift out from under it, to get the skid plate off. Then back up on the lift to remove the nut.

Story of my life, a job I thought would take 1/2 an hour when I started, is now into the day long, or longer, time frame.

Sure glad I don't do this for a living, I would starve to death based on my estimates of the time required to do things like this.

Just came up to have a little lunch, then back down to the shop to see if If I can get this finally done. Wish me luck, I need it.

old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:44 pm

DT,
The good part about it is that you found out what was hanging it up, and now you can carry on!

Geo.

bigbox
Bikes: Panhead 1959. Dirt bikes, current 2013 Switchback 73 Norton and 79 Triumph

Post by bigbox » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:16 am

I bet your glad you didn't lay into it with a four pound hammer. And we live similar lives as well, if I think its half an hour I make sure the fridge is stocked and I prepare myself for the long haul.

dltimmons
Bikes: 1965 Electraglide
2011 FLHXXX

Post by dltimmons » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:32 am

Success! I got the skid plate off and lifted the bike back up. Took a 7/8" socket to the flat looking nut and got it backed out about 1/2 way, then tapped on it with a rawhide mallet, went right up. Removed the nut and the seat post assembly pulled right out of the frame. The nut is a T type with a round nose on it that fits up into the frame hole.

Seat post assembly is completely covered in grease, could hardly see the springs it had so much grease on it. No evidence of any water or rust.

Decided to wait till tom. to get my parts washer set up, plastic tray, brush and mineral spirits, so I can clean the grease off it and decide what to do next.

I'm thinking about taking out one of the short springs, which should make the seat depress into the post easier when I sit on it, and since I am going to put a solo saddle on it, I think this is the way to go.

I should have my new solo seat by Monday, ordered one from "Heathers Leathers" to match the Big Bertha saddle bags on the bike. Great people to work with, a little pricey, but the pictures they sent me of the new seat look great.

Once I get the seat mounted, I'll try it out in place, then adjust from there, before I put everything back together.

Time to relax, sip on a Jack and water, and watch the doe with twin fawns wander around the yard.

DT

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:49 am

That Tee nut is the standard nut and should have a lock washer on it. There should not be any shaft sticking out beyond it. If the shaft sticks out it is subject to damage and consequently will be near impossible to remove in the future. Do not remove any springs, the tension can be adjusted for sag if you feel it is necessary, or switch the top springs in the tube. Removal will screw up the length of the inner rod to post and make it non functional.

Return to “Seat”