Buddy seat: how to mount

panzerama

Re: How to mount the buddy seat

Post by panzerama » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:52 am

Cotten, not sure of the vintage of that buddy seat, it was on my '49FL when I got it long time ago. It looks like its been around for quite a while and has seen a lot of miles. The skirt is leather and the studs and speedballs are nickle not cheesy stamped repops with bad chrome.

Panpal, You're correct about the cotter pin holes in the rear bolts, my original bolts probably hit the highway shortly after the first set of wing nuts fell off. I put some grade 8 SAE fine thread back in there with clincher nuts, not correct but they stay on the seat. I always assumed that the assortment of spacers that came with the seat kit were for adjusting it to the riders needs. Same thing for the extra holes in the T-Bar and the slot for the nose bolt. I took the spacers out and lowered the seat a little, that Buddy Seat rides too high for me when you ride solo.

weezeo

Post by weezeo » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:42 am

I got all the parts to mount these type seats and yours does look a little different than stock as cotton said its shorter(smaller) than mine and all the parts you showed is enuff to attach if you have t-bar and center post and that same setup works all the way up to late 60's i'm pretty sure on that.

64duo
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:37 pm

Panzerama,
I'd like to hear more about this business of early safety concerns and banning of buddy seats you mentioned a couple posts back. What was the basis and what changed their minds?
Jonathan

64duo
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:12 am

Jun 11, 2005, 11:28pm, Cotten wrote:
However, if you would like the convenience of swapping seats easily without liberated hardware bouncing about, just capture 1/4" bolts with shaved nuts to form studs protruding down from the Buddy mounts on the seat. Loctite 'em good after you have found their sweetspot for installation, and re-tightened.
And capture the spring clips to the seat tee with 1/4" bolts with shaved heads.
Cotten, excuse my ignorance, but I'm a little confused about the term "shaved head" "shaved nut" etc. I created these, actually had a welder friend, create these to mimic the square head hardware. We had some square nuts around and 1/4 in bolts. They are a little short on thickness but seem close. Is this what you were explaining?
bolts.jpg
The one in the middle is one of 2 originals I had with the brackets etc.
Jonathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:54 am

Yes, the thinner heads allow for a more compact assembly when the spacer plate is eliminated.

Norseman68
Bikes: 48/66 Pan Shovel on Paughco frame

Re: Buddy seat: how to mount

Post by Norseman68 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:00 pm

any idea what year this seat is

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Buddy seat: how to mount

Post by RUBONE » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:04 pm

No image is attached.

Return to “Seat”