Still won't start

All Panhead related topics
sihyun_kim
Bikes: 1948FL / Chopper

Still won't start

Post by sihyun_kim » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi guys,

I still needs some help.

I replaced condensor then started kick back like when the bike's run well. But since the bike won't start anything happened such as kick back.

I jus open the choke and kick the bike like 20 times with the key turned off and the throttle opened up. That should clear out most of the gas that's flooded. Then turn the gas back on, close the choke and kick it once with the throttle wide open and key off. Then open the choke, move the timer back halfway and turn the key on and kick it to tried to fire up. But just had kick back few times.

What should I check next? Please just remember that bike was runs really well.

Thanks for reading this.
Sihyun from Korea

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Still won't start

Post by Bigincher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:09 pm

What is your normal starting procedure, Sihyun?

I'm sure you already know that most people start their panheads all about the same way, like this:

Key off, retard spark 3/4
Turn gas valve on,
Close choke,
Kick completely through 2 or 3 times,
Choke open,
Key on,
Bring to top of compression stroke and kick through.

Most bikes will fire at this point. If it fires and dies, just repeat.

If your procedure is different than this, consider trying it this way.

I understand that the bike has been running perfectly up until now. If your plugs are fouled, put in some new ones. Save the fouled plugs, they will dry out.

sihyun_kim

Post by sihyun_kim » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:24 am

Bigincher wrote:What is your normal starting procedure, Sihyun?

I'm sure you already know that most people start their panheads all about the same way, like this:

Key off, retard spark 3/4
Turn gas valve on,
Close choke,
Kick completely through 2 or 3 times,
Choke open,
Key on,
Bring to top of compression stroke and kick through.

Most bikes will fire at this point. If it fires and dies, just repeat.

If your procedure is different than this, consider trying it this way.

I understand that the bike has been running perfectly up until now. If your plugs are fouled, put in some new ones. Save the fouled plugs, they will dry out.
Thank you for the reply. But my starting procedure is almost same as yours

Please read my current situation to make understand esaier through below link :)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16350

Sihyun

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:27 am

If you have spark and fuel the bike should start if your plugs are fouled then she must be leaned out the bike should fire in one kick after your ritual it's running a Linker throttle close resource Park kicker through three four times ignition on bring up on number 1 compression stroke and just follow through from 9 o'clock position with your leg and she should run it's not look at the color of your plugs sounds like you may have evil manifold leak I got this new smartphone that's really your stupid phone because it doesn't make periods and I couldn't read your last post as I said if you have spark and fuel she should start I would recheck your timing and take it from there respectfully as always Richie

ozwick86
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:01 am

I don't know if this has been asked, but is your clutch adjusted properly. You could be kicking it but the clutch might be slipping.

sihyun_kim

Post by sihyun_kim » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:56 pm

58flh wrote:If you have spark and fuel the bike should start if your plugs are fouled then she must be leaned out the bike should fire in one kick after your ritual it's running a Linker throttle close resource Park kicker through three four times ignition on bring up on number 1 compression stroke and just follow through from 9 o'clock position with your leg and she should run it's not look at the color of your plugs sounds like you may have evil manifold leak I got this new smartphone that's really your stupid phone because it doesn't make periods and I couldn't read your last post as I said if you have spark and fuel she should start I would recheck your timing and take it from there respectfully as always Richie
Hi Richie, thanks for the advice :)
But my bike was running perfectly up until now, and the bike is re-builted by professional. so the timing can't be changed by extremly fast idle for a bit.
Ithink something happend juas like went bad gasket from intake manifold between the carb.

With kindly regards
Sihyun

sihyun_kim

Post by sihyun_kim » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:09 pm

ozwick86 wrote:I don't know if this has been asked, but is your clutch adjusted properly. You could be kicking it but the clutch might be slipping.
Hi ozwick86, thanks for try to helping me out.

But, the clutch is not slipping, bike was running perfectly up until now. And also I'm always checked that almost every bolt, nuts and etc after every time I ride

I think that the problems seems like more near about flooding or leaking gas from intake manifold between carb.
Because I needed to see the gas getting to carb before disassemble the carb then I pull out the fuel hose from petcock then blow my breath through hose a little bit and then I found that the fuel are comming out from intake manifold between carb a bit, I think it shouldn't be like that.
If you have any other idea or something kind of solutions just hit me up in here!

Thanks again!

Sihyun

Mark44
Bikes: 1946 WL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2000 FXD Dyna Superglide
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:51 pm

sihyun_kim wrote: I think that the problems seems like more near about flooding or leaking gas from intake manifold between carb.
Because I needed to see the gas getting to carb before disassemble the carb then I pull out the fuel hose from petcock then blow my breath through hose a little bit and then I found that the fuel are comming out from intake manifold between carb a bit, I think it shouldn't be like that.
The gas shouldn't pool up in the intake manifold, but as I said in your other thread, I don't think replacing the gasket will fix things.

As a guess, I would say that your float has come loose and is binding on the float bowl or the bowl stem. If that happens, the float valve can't operate to shut off the fuel when the bowl is full. That's the only explanation I can come up with of why blowing on the gas line would cause fuel to leak out between the carb and intake manifold.

james
Bikes: 2003 FLHRCI
1952 FL

Post by james » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:26 pm

How is your power supply, battery, ground wire, connections etc. If it was running fine before, maybe something came loose, battery not up to specs, bad connection somewhere. Check around closely, are you making spark?
Have you checked for possible tight push rods? Like Richie said, if you are getting fuel and spark it should fire off but if the push rods are tight your compression is compromised.
Jim M

Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:37 am

I agree with Mark, something is wrong with the float/inlet valve. Blowing on gas line should do nothing if the float inlet valve is working correctly.

Andygears

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Check the float & seat as the boyz described.//If good Check your points & make sure the cam follower is still there!/& the points should open equally on both lobes.While your at it ,it dont hurt to check your timing!!!//Gap the points at .022//Check the wire so it hasent frayed & caused a short.Is your coil good//Just some things to look at.---Richie

awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:44 am

Hi Sihyun:

I do 't mean to sound harsh, but you are getting a lot of advice on things to check, and in many cases, you are just assuring us that it can't be a problem because the bike was running until recently. Things like the clutch slipping, or the timing being out.

My advice is, check the things you think are likely first, but DO check the stuff that "can't be the problem.

Sometimes, one of them WILL be the problem.

ozwick86
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:01 am

Andy,

I was thinking the same thing. :wink:

sihyun_kim

Post by sihyun_kim » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:07 am

awander wrote:Hi Sihyun:

I do 't mean to sound harsh, but you are getting a lot of advice on things to check, and in many cases, you are just assuring us that it can't be a problem because the bike was running until recently. Things like the clutch slipping, or the timing being out.

My advice is, check the things you think are likely first, but DO check the stuff that "can't be the problem.

Sometimes, one of them WILL be the problem.

Really appreciate that all the advice guys!

I'll remember that your comment 'do check every stuff that "can't be the problem'.

I'm a little bit afraid of disassembling with the Linkert to see what happened inside, because SS carb is pretty common but no one use the linkert in here.

Sihyun

Mark44
Bikes: 1946 WL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2000 FXD Dyna Superglide
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:02 pm

You don't have to disassemble the whole carburetor -- just take off the bowl. A large nut at the bottom is what holds it on. Inside the bowl is the float, which is attached to the float lever, which in turn allows the float valve to move up and down. If the float is set in the right position, it causes the float valve to seat, preventing more fuel from entering the float bowl. I suspect that your float has come loose or it's not in the right position, so isn't working right. I outlined a way to test for this in a previous post.

If you've ever looked inside a toilet tank, the carb float works the same way.

Return to “Panhead”