Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville

Fork Tubes & internal throttle

Post by Scrap » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:24 pm

After De-Raking my 57 FL and now in the process of replacing the Paughco Springer with stock length hydraglide front end, I am ordering new tubes.
I tried to get a set from "Forking by Frank". I remember seeing his ad's from seeing my first motorcycle magazine. I don't want to wait 6 weeks as he makes them to order. My dealer can get them from stock from "Custom Cycle Engineering". I looked at their website and they seem like solid citizens, been in business for quite some time. Does anyone have any experience? FYI, called J&P, asked for stock length tubes for a 57 FL, was told they had them in stock, 41mm, 26" length. I said they should be more like 20.5", he said I'm wrong, I guess I'm not surprised.

Also, have been trying for two weeks to reach "Old Dude" via email and phone. Usually very responsive. Anyone know if all is well with Clete? I would like to restore the internal throttle & timer hardware, all I have are the bars, no other parts, any suggestion for parts? No swap meets nearby in the near future.

Thanks,
Sam

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Fork Tubes & internal throttle

Post by RUBONE » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:20 am

Well, perhaps you are a bit out of the loop. Clete died a while back, Bart is running the business but is doing the swap meets and is away for periods of time. Frank's business is in a questionable state since it is in the hands of his kids, (He's been gone a long time, and his wife too). J&P is a joke at every level. Throttle parts are pretty common, so even V-Twin can likely help on that, or Flatland, or Bob Luland at the "Good Old Motorcycle Parts Co, , or Rob Nussbaum at Retrocycle, or Warren at 45 Restoration, or.....

Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville

Post by Scrap » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:06 am

Thank you for the reply Robbie. Sorry to hear about Clete. I just received a reply from Bart. Apparently my email was in his spam folder. He is going to get back to me. I recall seeing posts regarding the quality of spirals etc. from V-Twin. I wonder if all vendors get them from the same supplier. I'm going get the tubes from Custom Cycle, they make them in the USA and they will ship from stock.

RooDog
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Custom Built Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:16 pm

I have spent face time at the, now defunct, V-Twin Dealer Expo in Cincinnati talking with the folks from Custom Cycle Engineering, and they are top notch originators, and manufactures of custom parts for our scooters. Their founder, the late Randy Smith, was the originator of the finned cast aluminum rock covers for Panheads, this idea was quickly stolen by Tom McMullen and is AEE Chopper company,later known as Jammer. Randy is long gone now, but his followers still provide quality parts and service....
....RooDog....

Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville

Post by Scrap » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Thanks RD, that confirms my confidence in their products.
Sam

Return to “Panhead”