V-twin cylinder heads for a Panhead

All Panhead related topics
whenpancomestoshovel
Bikes: Pan

V-twin cylinder heads for a Panhead

Post by whenpancomestoshovel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:56 pm

The cylinder heads on my Panhead are pretty much beyond worth saving. They are mismatched, need new valves, guides, seats, extensive welding, combustion room repair and new rockers. For this reason, I need to be looking at replacement heads.

I've been eyeing the V-twin heads for some time. The quality seems to have varied throughout the years. Anyone who has input justifying a spending 1200 dollars more on STD assembly?

Has there been a new generation of V-twin heads recently?

http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 3289987_-1

Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL Sold
1949 rat bike Sold
1946 FL Sold

Re: V-twin cylinder heads for a Panhead

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:42 pm

Empirically addressing your heads challenge, with V Twin; it's a hit or miss affair.
They are by far the biggest players, that written they are often the only source for remotely located chaps.
But if I was seriously considering buying a new set of heads, I'd save until I could afford the best out there, always.
So sir as I have written, its a hit or miss affair, you might hit, or you might miss. But with a really good set, you will be worry free.
have a good time doing your research.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:13 pm

As Budda said V-Twin is hit or miss-(Mostly MISS!).I have worked on them in the past,& Dislike them because of the misery that is caused by the stupid mistakes during machining.//If you can find a set of OEMs at a swapmeet /that would be a nice route to take.Recently I have been SLOWLY building a 49fl bobber,& I have purchased a set of STD heads.Very Nice & the QUALITY is GREAT!/I opted for the shovel intake type as it will be a light/hopper with a slight 84-inch stroke.That being said ,my 58flh heads are still going strong/but showing thier age/so I will get eighther a OEM set or another set of STDs but in traditional plumber style.--Respectfully---Richie

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:36 pm

My, My, my, look at all that decorative yellow brass. The original was bronze. 100% Chinese junk. Bob L

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
59 FLH running restoration
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 pm

And the studs are sticking out of the nuts different lengths. Some reassembly required as with most parts from them.

kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:27 pm

I'm not in the market for replacement cylinders or heads and it's been awhile since I looked at options but is S&S a bolt on option?

peacemakermichael
Bikes: Panhead 1955

Post by peacemakermichael » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:09 pm

Hello everyone!

I have been lookin for a pair of V-twin panheads from eBay, since my original rear head is completely toasted. I've done some research about these heads, and found out those Made in USA -versions are really nice, but are these imported ones actually that bad? What are the issues, fitment, inserts, seats, cast? I've been looking a set with valves&springs 1955-1962, my original rockers are fine. Would appreciate if you guys, who have been playing with these imported ones, would advice me with the possible issues I may come across buying these.

Thanks!

tattoomark
Bikes: 1955 pan,79 shovel,93 flhtp

Post by tattoomark » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:40 pm

I bought a set of them they're completely junk I should have known better anything made by v twin I'll tell you this right now I cannot get my manifold gap down to .030 no matter what I've tried the best I can do is Been .045and to make matters worse when you try to take the spark plug out of the rear cylinder the spark plug socket Binds up on the wall in other words there junk I wouldn't have them ever again I wish I never bought them I should have just waited and found a good City heads I wasted good money I'll sell them to you if you want I just want to make sure you're not in the same state because I don't want you come looking for me after you lose your mind to with them I heard MC creations in Houston Texas has a lot of of oem heads

peacemakermichael

Post by peacemakermichael » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks for the reply tattoomark!

Well, so there are problems with them. I'm from Finland, so I'm not in the same state with you, haha. I've been tracking some oem heads here in Finland, but if they are rare in the US, they sure are really rare here! I mean nobody has them, or if has, won't sell. My front head is just fine, no repairs whatsoever needed there, but will need a solid good runnable rear head. I've been searching oem heads from eBay also, asked for better pics of one but the owner hasn't replied yet. If someone is holding nice rear head I'm interested!

Just for curiosity i'd still like to hear others experiences of V-Twin panheads. I'm gonna pass them anyway, as a student i can't afford to pay 1200 bucks for crappy heads.

ozwick86
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:26 pm

peacemakermichael wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:09 pm
Thanks for the reply tattoomark!

Well, so there are problems with them. I'm from Finland, so I'm not in the same state with you, haha. I've been tracking some oem heads here in Finland, but if they are rare in the US, they sure are really rare here! I mean nobody has them, or if has, won't sell. My front head is just fine, no repairs whatsoever needed there, but will need a solid good runnable rear head. I've been searching oem heads from eBay also, asked for better pics of one but the owner hasn't replied yet. If someone is holding nice rear head I'm interested!

Just for curiosity i'd still like to hear others experiences of V-Twin panheads. I'm gonna pass them anyway, as a student i can't afford to pay 1200 bucks for crappy heads.
peacemakermichael,

Here is a vendor in Germany that makes complete engines and accessories. Here is the link for the cost of heads.

https://www.motortechnic-mfg.com/tienda-1

kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:53 am

After years on this forum most will note I am no mechanic so here's a non-mechanic question. If someone has the v-twin heads or other mfg type that leaves a longer gap than stock jugs/heads create, is it possible to have a stock or aftermarket intake manifold very, very slightly lengthened by a skilled machinist so the gap is no longer an issue?

ozwick86
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:17 am

Kevsett,

I was thinking the same thing. Sure, cut manifold, add in new piece weld up.

tattoomark
Bikes: 1955 pan,79 shovel,93 flhtp

Post by tattoomark » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:48 am

That's a great idea! Thanks

Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:05 am

Just as a point of reference, Motortechnic is who is making BTSV aluminum 74 cylinders for Ted. Saw a set at Oley last spring. They look nice, but have a iron liner and can only be made in 3 5/16 bore.
DD

peacemakermichael

Post by peacemakermichael » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:05 pm

kevsett wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:53 am
After years on this forum most will note I am no mechanic so here's a non-mechanic question. If someone has the v-twin heads or other mfg type that leaves a longer gap than stock jugs/heads create, is it possible to have a stock or aftermarket intake manifold very, very slightly lengthened by a skilled machinist so the gap is no longer an issue?
Yes, it is possible. My issue here is that I'm a student, i can't afford to pay 1200 bucks for heads that require work. I'm sure that manifold issue is not the only issue there. I do not have equipment to do the work myself, so it is not an option. I'd rather have right-priced OEM head that might require slight work or not work at all.

Return to “Panhead”