My 58 FL

Show or brag about your projects or rebuilds
Forum rules
Here is an even better place to show your project: The Garage

My 58 FL

Postby George Greer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Here goes,

As I intend to return to the US in a couple of years to build a home in Portland, I started my project with a good unmolosted engine, I figure, since I will be in and out of the US for the next couple of years, till the house is started.. I would keep all the parts that I find at the stepdaughters house for safekeeping...and work on it when I am here....

This retirement project, is to go along with my hotrod flattie. Another put together, mix and match...(sorry, no restoration). A fun rider and what ever fits, and fits my wallet....well.. It will go to use.

Here's what I have began:

58FL engine, found in Holland, 58 Frame, found in Texas, Round swingarm, came out of Florida.

Tanks.....oh yea, a good buddy there in the US, swapped a couple parts for them...he may recogonize them... good solid tanks!

4 Speed transmission, just stuck on, waiting on mounting plate to arrive, before I go back to Germany on Saturday.

Front end, off a Sportie....gotta find a front fender for it.

Rear fender, it is on its way to me here in Portland Oregon, and I hope that it makes it here prior to leaving as well.

Other parts....well............got to find dash panel, speed-o, cover plate, seat, and a ton of other stuff to make it go.

Photos to follow.

George
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III

Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.

58 FL, engine, frame swingarm, gas tanks.

Re: My 58 FL

Postby hydra74 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:35 pm

George,

have fun with your project and let's see some pictures

Hydra74
hydra74

Bikes: 1943 WLC
1955 FL

Postby john HD » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:39 am

george,

can't wait to see what you have brewed up!

i'm sorry but i do not think that box of parts rattling around in my truck is gonna make it before you leave.

i'll get it there...

john
john HD

Postby George Greer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:54 pm

John, no sweat.... I got stuff to do around here to finish up prior to returning to Germany this Saturday.

I brought my mini-laptop with me and I am not used to the photo editing of this computer, the PC at home is much more user frendly.

Anyhooo, here goes..I will try this again.

George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon

Postby CaptMike » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:13 pm

Looks pretty nice George. I like the Shipping Label Seat! Need to Shit-Can that kick lever. :mrgreen:
CaptMike

Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Postby George Greer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Mike,

All in due time....

A number of other members informed me to getrid of it.......OR, risk body injury to lower limbs..

I am too freaking old for that crap....so, I will get rid of it and hopefully stay healty enough to ride it someday.

George

PS, As this is being build as time, and $$$ allows and couple that with the fact I am a frugal sort...I will get stuff as I can...so far,
Counting the engine...I only got about 3 grand in her. Guess I am lucky at times.

Once I get home, I get to attend to the assembly on the bottom end of my WL-KH engine....now that the flywheels are balanced and trued.
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Postby john HD » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:12 am

looking good george!

i'll miss that petcock, it actually works quite well. off is off and the reserve works nicely! it is high flow btw.

is the motor still overseas?

john
john HD

Postby George Greer » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:18 am

Yea John,,,

The engine is still at the house in Germany.

I just mailed off 2 65A generators to home for rebuild, I got access to NOS generator parts in Germany, I figure I can take 2 wornout ones and make at least one workable one, and have some spare parts to boot....all for under a hundered dollars.

Still got some time on my hands prior to moving back to this side of the great pond.

George
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Postby hplhd » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:01 pm

georg, i believe i have an arm(aftermarket offset kind to clear pipes) and a peddle you can have ifn you want it. pm ne an addy to send it to. i can take a pic of it for you if you want.
hplhd

Bikes: 1959 rigid bitsa 1998 heritage springer

Postby George Greer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:16 pm

PM Sent

Thanks!!

George
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Postby George Greer » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:14 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-ORIGINAL-H ... 4160b09e1a

Questions:

Will a same year swingarm (ie, 1983 sportster) fit on my 58 frame, and other than changing the swing arm to a later model one for disk brakes, can anyone inform of any other parts that would be needed to make this work with the frame I have.

If ya look at the first photo I posted, you can see that this is the type of wheel that came with the front end. And being the cheap sort I am since the front end came with it I am going to use it. Just trying to match up the ass end

And I just hate cleaning and polishing spokes.

I guess that what I am trying to do is build a bike that I can bolt on parts that will fit, as much as possible, without modifying parts, or a lot of welding. I don't want to ruin parts doing that.

Thanks. George
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Postby hplhd » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:21 am

george, pm sent. ( pretty early mite not make much sense)
hplhd

Bikes: 1959 rigid bitsa 1998 heritage springer

Postby Bosheff » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:56 pm

Never heard of anyone tryin the swap a sporter swingarm into a BigTwin frame. Just off the top of my head I'm guessin that the sporty swingarm is gonna be narrower when it slides into the BigTwin frame, but that's just a guess. If ya had the sporter bolt that goes through the frame and swingarm you may get a better idea. Why do ya wanna use the XL swingarm anyway?....bosheff
Bosheff

Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Postby George Greer » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:17 am

Bosheff.....

asking what would fit my 58 frame probably would have been a better question!!

But The sportsters front wheel came with the fork assembly. And since it is is good shape, I am going to use it.

I would like to match up the rear end and also upgrade braking, so I was asking what combination of parts would allow me to use this type of rear wheel..

Any suggestions?

And I forgot to add.......I just hate cleaning/polishing spokes...and it looks like even if I do keep drum brakes, and a star wheel........finding one that ain't worn out and don't cost a arm and a leg is getting a bit out of my price range, and couple that with me being still in Germany.... well ya kinda see my issues

George
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Postby Bosheff » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:51 pm

73-84 square swing arm from FL or FX bolts right in. These came from the factory with disc brakes. 73-81 or 82 used the banana disc brakes. These are junk. If possible go for the 82-84 swing arm as it has the caliper torque arm bracket welded in the proper place for the 82 and later Girling disc brake set up, or you can use the 73-81 swing arm and relocate the bracket for the Girling unit, or go with an aftermarket brake setup. If my memory ain't gone completely south, it seems like you can use a sporter rear wheel, and disc setup from the late 80's sporty with the 73 and later BigTwin square swingarm. You will have to respace the caliper and possibly the rotor, and probably go to a -73 BigTwin drive sprocket (dished) but I'm sure it's doable. By goin this route, you can run a matching stock rear mag type wheel, and if I'm correct that's what this is all about. With a little luck you might be able to score the whole swing arm, mag wheel, disc brake unit complete and slide the whole works right into yer 58 frame....bosheff
Bosheff

Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Next

Return to Projects