WL/KH Project build.

Flathead projects & rebuilds
Forum rules
Here is an even better place to show your project: The Garage

WL/KH Project build.

Postby George Greer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:46 am

Hi all,

This is really my first "build", my version of a "Hot-rod" flattie. The attached photos, are of the original intent. Showing the 45 jugs and heads. Since these photos were taken ideas have changed a little.

OK, heres the skinny.

Engine:
43 Cases
KH Cylinders
K Heads.
T&O Stroker Flywheels.
KH Cams
WR Lifter blocks.
WL Roller lifters
Fairbanks-Morse Magneto.
Carb, 34mm Mikuni......or another option, thanks to Vince at FHP the info about twin carbs off a Suzuki GS-500

The engine has a modified oil system. The original pump is now a distribution block, as it has been modified somewhat like Jim Caseys book and with the assistance/tips from many people at FHP, to provide filtered oil to the skirt oilers.

I have came up with some changes to the oil pump, and the scavange pump that I think would work.

Baffles removed, case half will be modified for internal skirt oilers for the KH cylinders.

Scavange pump has been modded to become a dual pump (pressure & scavange) that will supply oil to the modded original pressure pump that is now a distribution block. And with the permission of Dr. Dick, I will post photos of what I am working on.

Transmission, I have a three speed that is converted to a 4 Speed........and I also have a spare 3 speed, and I also have a Brit M-21 4 speed, but I don't have the adapter "cradle" idea completely worked out in my head.

1947 Frame.

Gas tank and underseat oil tank, custom made for me by a man in France.

1979 Sportster XLS front end. Disk brake

1979 Sportie Dual flange rear hub that I laced to a 16" rim.

Hand made Rear disk brake caliper bracket.

Belt Drive, with hand made carbon fiber shroud.

Foot shift.

This is a "evolving" project, as time and money allows, I work on it. Other than that, she sits in the basement waiting to become a completed project.

George
Attachments
DSC01401.JPG
DSC01401.JPG (52.02 KIB) Viewed 3856 times
DSC01414.JPG
DSC01414.JPG (149.24 KIB) Viewed 3856 times
DSC01386.JPG
DSC01386.JPG (149.46 KIB) Viewed 3856 times
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III

Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.

58 FL, engine, frame swingarm, gas tanks.

Re: WL/KH Project build.

Postby George Greer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:28 am

Image Collection of parts.

Image Thanks to Frankenstein for this photo. Dr Dick, Woody and others have been very nice with supplied information and pics.

Image Many Thanks to Frankenstein, aka Dr. Dick

Image Pic showing inlet and return fittings.

Image Getting the mill's X & Y axis around the curve was interesting to do.....slow shallow cuts.

The shop.
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon

Postby john HD » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:48 pm

george,

nice shop you have there!

as for the rear brake, do you think the rear frame casting will handle the load from the control arm?

where is the wla?

john
john HD

Postby kitabel » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Very nice work.
On the rear caliper mount: this is always a compromise.
The caliper is a PITA to bleed if the fitting isn't close to vertical, so moving the C of G a bit by rotating in to the 6 o'clock position has a service penalty.
The caliper will (of course) attempt to rotate forward (CCW, as seen from the left) when pressure is applied. However, some part of the chassis will generally stop it; the question is where, and what does it do?
Since the frame is rigid, there is no point in transferring brake torque to the main frame (as would be true in a swing-arm, but seldom done for cost reasons) so any anchor point (or none) serves equally well as to brake function.
Since the caliper mount cannot mis-align (it's on the axle, and will also self-center when applied) a heim joint or even a link isn't needed, the caliper could be simply left to rotate until it contacts the frame rail.
The remaining question is where the chassis is torqued. I'd like to see what running a torque link from the caliper forward to the seat post would do - it appears that this would avoid stressing the (known) weak joint where the seat pan attaches.
kitabel

Bikes: 37U

Postby George Greer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:45 pm

kitabel wrote:Very nice work.
On the rear caliper mount: this is always a compromise.
The caliper is a PITA to bleed if the fitting isn't close to vertical, so moving the C of G a bit by rotating in to the 6 o'clock position has a service penalty.
The caliper will (of course) attempt to rotate forward (CCW, as seen from the left) when pressure is applied. However, some part of the chassis will generally stop it; the question is where, and what does it do?
Since the frame is rigid, there is no point in transferring brake torque to the main frame (as would be true in a swing-arm, but seldom done for cost reasons) so any anchor point (or none) serves equally well as to brake function.
Since the caliper mount cannot mis-align (it's on the axle, and will also self-center when applied) a heim joint or even a link isn't needed, the caliper could be simply left to rotate until it contacts the frame rail.
The remaining question is where the chassis is torqued. I'd like to see what running a torque link from the caliper forward to the seat post would do - it appears that this would avoid stressing the (known) weak joint where the seat pan attaches.

Thank you for the advice, and the comment about my work.

John,

Yes sir, I do believe that the bracket and attaching joint/anchor will work....I forgot to add one piece that I am still trial fitting for added stability.

Here's my ugly mug and 2nd most favorite item to tinker with........(wifey is number 1 favorite )
Attachments
DSC01451.JPG
DSC01451.JPG (151.44 KIB) Viewed 3825 times
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Postby George Greer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:23 pm

This is what the rear caliper's bracket started off with. This caliper is off a 93 sportster, and it fit within the confines of the frame and to me, looks kinda like it belongs there.

Walnut, and several trys before I got it the way that I wanted.

Then transferred it to 1/2" alumminum and used some hole saws, and many hours with a hacksaw and file before I was happy with it.

Now I got my little milling machine, to go along with my lathe..........not so much filing and hacksaw work now!!

George
Attachments
DSC00746.JPG
DSC00746.JPG (131.01 KIB) Viewed 3820 times
DSC00743.JPG
DSC00743.JPG (139.73 KIB) Viewed 3820 times
DSC00736.JPG
DSC00736.JPG (153.23 KIB) Viewed 3820 times
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Postby Billpan58 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:25 pm

nice looking, can we see a pic when oil pump is installed?
Billpan58

Bikes: 58FL 99M2Buell 89Sporty

Postby Panacea » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Why not just weld a tab to the new bracket above and below the lower frame rail, just like some of the late model HDs?
Panacea
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Postby George Greer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:52 am

Bill,

Yes once I am completed and have the final pump assembled, I wil post a installed photo, and the oil line routings to the modified "distribution block/oil filter/check valve assembly.

Panacea,

I have been told that would be the a good route to follow, just welding on a tab. And I guess that I am just being hardheaded....The frame is cherry.........and I said to myself when I started, that I wanted No mods to the frame.....Just work around it.

George
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Postby FlatHeadSix » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:01 am

George Greer wrote:and I said to myself when I started, that I wanted No mods to the frame.....Just work around it. George

Good philosophy George, and beautiful work, the walnut mock-up is very nice, and I agree; it looks like it belongs there!

mike
FlatHeadSix

Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Postby George Greer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:42 am

On welding a bracket above and below the frame rail, here is a photo of one of the first trys at making a caliper bracket. As you can see in my original design, It don't quite look right, and is quite rigid.

I have since "redone the design", and am working on getting it made, now that I have proper tooling, and not just a file and hacksaw.

The brackets tits would have rode on the frame rail and a bar would have bolted it all together.

I did not quite like the look of it, and if you notice the axle's stay is angled down, not parallel to the frames rail.

So when adjusting the rear axle, I thought that the assembly would bind up, so I came up with a idea that is a little more flexable.

I am not finished with it just yet, but when I am I will post photo.

George
Attachments
DSC00740.JPG
DSC00740.JPG (153.36 KIB) Viewed 3789 times
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Postby Frankenstein » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:25 pm

Nice work George! Absolutely no prob on posting pics!
Like the shop, always nice to see what the other fella has for goodies in the workspace,
DD
Frankenstein

Postby George Greer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:12 am

Guten tag Herr Dr.

Hopefully, I can find a front KH cylinder to match my rear one.......and I can finally make some decent progress on this looooooooooong drawn out process/project.

George
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Postby jibhead » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:32 am

hi george,
bikes looking good, both of them, and also nice pictures of the pump conversion.

whats the engine on the bench doing/being ?

jib
jibhead

Bikes: 43 wlc ,1990 xl1200 ,73 shovel

Postby George Greer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Engine on bench...

Well......that set of cases came from a bunker in Berlin.

They were sitting in water for a looooong time and are only good for fitment and making sure that when I do modify my good cases, I have it right.

They are being used for "mock-up/testing".. to see if all fits as I have envisioned. Hole drilling, angles, plumbing for the oil pump mods..ect.

George
George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Next

Return to Projects