Yamabond

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
mogman

Yamabond

Post by mogman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:38 am

I can not remember is it Yamabond 4 or 5 for the engine cases???
the discription sounds the same and no color is specified
Craig

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:28 am

Yamabond 4 was the aftermarket sealer of choice in the late-80s.

Maybe "5" lasts longer!!

....Cotten

mogman

Post by mogman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:34 am

Cotten,,Ever heard of Three bond 1104? What do you use?

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:05 am

Mog!

There's a zillion good goobers that I have never heard of.....

I use the OEM -81 sealer: 3M #800 Industrial Sealer.

....Cotten

DuoDave

Post by DuoDave » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:01 pm

Three Bond 1104 is the same stuff as Yamabond 4. All four Japanese manufacturers used it under there own brand name - Kawabond, Suzibond, Hondabond and of course, Yamabond. Expensive if you buy the motorcycle company branded product. Maybe Three Bond's own version is cheaper?

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:06 am

Heres something I posted on 10/24/07.
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:17 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dilby let me lay this on ya. Many moons ago back in the late seventies I got tired of seeing oil dripping from that front pan head so I set out on a mission to resolve the problem permanently Dirt boys! Dirt it’s the culprit. Since I figured this out I have never had a leak in a pan head again. (Those STD heads. I had the fourth or fifth set that they made in 85 or 86. The fourth time I took the bike out one of the valve seats fell out because the seat socket hadn’t been clean properly after machining. Man O man there was a lot of busted aluminum) Here’s the leak proof secret. I start by wiping down the gasket surface with lacquer thinner. You can have the cleanest looking part but wipe it down with lacquer thinner and a white rag and you would be amazed of the crap that comes off. Do not use paint thinner or spirits as they leave a residue behind. Repeat this on the head and pan until the rag stays clean. Now get your self one of those every day pan gaskets. That’s right you don’t have to go out and blow twenty bucks on gaskets to get it leak proof. The next step is the sealer. Yama bond 4 or 5. Just tell the parts guy you want the light gray one. This is produced in the states under a name like TreeBond Liquid Gasket 1104 but Yamaha just slaps their name on it. I used to get it from Flanders. This stuff like silicon will ruin your engine if not applied properly. Before you say this guy is full of it let me explain? Silicone and Yama bond do not brake down in oil. If used in excess it will circulate though you engine plugging crank journals etc I’ve ripped engines down only to pull gobs of gasket sealer out. To avoid this do the following. I collect the gray cardboard backings off the yellow legal pads I use. I smear the gasket down on one side and stick it to the cardboard I then coat the other side flip it on the cardboard. The gasket just needs to be in permeated. No excess. I have never torqued my pan bolts but if it makes ya happy. Do it! See that was painless. Bob

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:43 pm

A six year life expectancy is great for a Yamaha.

...Cotten

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:55 am

So what the hell does that statment have to do with an gasket sealant? And furthermore the product is made in the USA! The pans on my bike have been leak proof since 1986. The shicht goes the distance.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:15 pm

My point is that Yamabond4 has a limited life.

Lucky for our Guest if his pan covers have stayed sealed since '86 (ridden much with no overhauls in twenty years?), but as a case sealer with no gasket, it can let go after half a decade in service.
I used it often in the '80s and went on to something better in the '90s when it became obvious. (3M Scotchseal was H-D's OEM case sealer for many years.)

I don't care if a product is made on the Moon as long as it is quality.

....Cotten

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”